• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Soft Top Ripped Loose While Driving.

mgman

I was driving my M925 truck this afternoon to warm up the engine to change the oil. That is when 'POOF", the soft top front came loose. I held down the center bow while slowing down. There was about a 3-4" air scoop sending cold air inside the cab. I put on a glove and headed back to the shop.

Soooo, my question is, is this repairable or should I put on my newly acquired spare soft top?

I did get the oil changed. Wasn't prepared for the oil to shoot out so far. It isn't anything that Dawn dishwashing liquid won't get out of my hair.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any place that does boat tops can fix it for you. Likely just the thread came apart and the wind then tepee'd the top. I had the same thing happen to my 923 the day I picked it up. If you lost the plastic channel that slides in the top of the windshield frame they can probably find something to replace that too.

m715mike

I was driving my M925 truck this afternoon to warm up the engine to change the oil. That is when 'POOF", the soft top front came loose. I held down the center bow while slowing down. There was about a 3-4" air scoop sending cold air inside the cab. I put on a glove and headed back to the shop.

Soooo, my question is, is this repairable or should I put on my newly acquired spare soft top?

I did get the oil changed. Wasn't prepared for the oil to shoot out so far. It isn't anything that Dawn dishwashing liquid won't get out of my hair.
Well... look on the bright side. After washing your hair you can take a spin in your new convertible to dry your hair. See... your truck just saved you from purchasing a hair dryer!

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Install your new backup top and enjoy it. You will then know how to install/remove and examine the "original" to see if it is worth repair.
Drive it around a bit with no cover at all. Does the windshields fold down on a five ton?
It would be a memorable occasion for you.

Attachments

Last edited:

mgman

I'm going to rivet it back together. Probably use a strip of stainless on the outside.

I'm used to draining oil from equipment. I was poorly positioned to hold the 5 gal pail in the right position. The worst spill I had was draining a hydraulic tank on my dozer. The 1" pipe plug blew out from my fingers and into the funnel...plugging it. 20 gallons of hydraulic oil on the ground. That took a lot of oil dri.

A Seabee

I'm going to rivet it back together. Probably use a strip of stainless on the outside.

I'm used to draining oil from equipment. I was poorly positioned to hold the 5 gal pail in the right position. The worst spill I had was draining a hydraulic tank on my dozer. The 1" pipe plug blew out from my fingers and into the funnel...plugging it. 20 gallons of hydraulic oil on the ground. That took a lot of oil dri.
the worst hydraulic "leak" I ever had was while filling a piece of equipment with oil using an air powered pump. it was filling slow, so I went to the fridge and got a bite to eat, forgot about it for not long, maybe 20 minutes. when I remembered, there was a 20' (at least) diameter spill encircling the vehicle. it had gotten full, then spilled over o_O

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I glued the plastic pieces back on and riveted them every two inches. I used .040" x 1" stainless on the outside to rivet through. Just got it slid back through the front channel and flopped over the top. I will finish it tomorrow. It isn't that difficult reinstalling these by myself.
I did pretty much the same thing several years ago, but used a single piece of house siding, trimmed down to fit. I posted pics here on the site after I did it. Still holding up, but the top has seen better days. I will be replacing it with a hard top this spring.

MTVR

you haven't really lived until you've driven a Deuce or a 5 ton with no top and the windshield laid down, in a typhoon, at night
Energy increases with the square of velocity, so the wind blast at 50 mph would be one-quarter of the wind blast at 100 mph, or one-sixteenth of the wind blast at 200 mph:

200mph.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks