• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Soft Top Roof Rails

MaverickH1

Has anyone had to cut their soft top roof rails in order to install them? I just got my B-pillar rabbet pieces from Kascar, and there's no way these roof rails fit within the rabbets and the windshield frame.

Additionally, the hole pattern on the rabbets doesn't perfectly match the holes already drilled in the B-pillar. aua

I would just cut and drill the rails to fit, but my concern is that there's something else wrong with the geometry of the roll bar/windshield and this problem might resurface when I eventually convert to a 4 door if I shortcut it now. I would assume that if these rails SHOULD be cut they would not have included the mounting hole on them...

Are there multiple B-pillar styles? I haven't been able to find any alternatives.

Your thoughts?

Action

What are you calling a "rabbat"
I always thought the b-pillar rabbets are the triangular pieces bracing the bottom of the b-pillar, where the data plates attach.
If you are talking about the "C" channel brackets that hold the b-pillar to the body, you should buy new ones and drill the holes to line up with your existing b-pillar.
And, why are you installing those pieces. Did your humvee not come with a b-pillar? That would be odd, as if maybe it was rolled or bent previously.
You can loosen the bolts at all 5 windshield hinges and push the frame forward some. This may help on a 2-man, but if you want to install the 4-man, you will have to get the b-pillar back to its correct position.
If you are just talking about the door jamb pieces on the outside of the b-pillar, the holes will not line up. I haven't seen two drilled the same.

Last edited:

TedG

If your b pillar from tub to bar is straight/not bent then do not cut them. Tilt windshield frame forward. Use sikaflex to adhere the rabbats and then rivet. Since your truck had armor, I'm sure things are out of whack.

Also, the B pillar setup is NOT a roll bar. It may bend upon upside down situations along with the windshield frame.

Last edited:

MaverickH1

The B-pillar rabbet I was referring to is the one of the high outside location on the B-pillar. I have attached it to match the angle of the B-pillar (which is called a roll bar in the parts manual but I understand it is not structurally rated for that) with just two rivets to make it easy to adjust if needed later.

Upon doing this I had the soft top side rail assembly screwed to the windshield only. I took the B-pillar side of the rail and pushed it down until it cleared the upper rabbet and was able to push into the weatherstripping channel of the door/rabbet. Then I punched it upwards so it could push the windshield, b-pillar, and deform the rabbet enough to get where it needed to be. I moved it until the angle of the side rail matched the angle of the lower part of the door opening of the body tub. Then marked the location of where the well nut should go, measured again to make sure it looked right. Closed the doors to make sure it looked right. Then drilled a 25/64" hole for the well-nut.

Success, now the bow system is attached and ready to install the soft top.

Thanks a bunch, guys!

Action

Also make note that the 2 handrails (from w/s to b-pillar) only fit one side. They are different. One has an "R" on it and the other a "L".
That door jamb piece on the outside of the b-pillar is not centered on the b-pillar.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks