• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Soft Top

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a couple of soft tops for my Deuce that I can't use due to the hard plastic ridge that fits into the rail across the top of the windshield is either broken or missing all together. I have tried several of the mil. parts places like Saturn with no luck. Has anyone tried some of the soft top suppliers to see if they will sell them separately? I know they would rather sale a new top than some parts but I need a replacement! Any ideas?
James G.

Westech

CPL
I think your kinda screwed. mine did the same thing. top was almost new looking but the front plastic rotted off it. I just got a new top. I'm sure you could make something work like a dowel rod and fabric to wrap around and make a new one.

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Call

Well I am going to call some of the top manufacturers this week to see if they will sell the part or who supplies them with the part, it has to be available out there somewhere.
James G.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
For heavy canvas I've successfully used high pressure 1/4" polyamide (nylon) tubing, glued in place inside the seam with PU sealant/adhesive, to avoid wrinkling up during installation. Almost to stiff and better not to be folded , though.

G.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have used round neoprene jacketed electrical cord...on the canvas top for the 8x8, I found a printer cable that was just right diameter.
Once the canvas/material is in the slot on the truck, there is very little stress on the seam, so a good silicone glue (Goop) works well.
These tops get torn when removed IMHO, got one like that too, but haven't bothered to fix it. Use it as extra cover over the deuce canvas top when the truck isn't used.

MitchG

I finally got GMA to send me a set of the plastic pieces for my top. It took quit a few phonecalls but they came thru in the end. I think the young ladies name was Cynthia that I spoke to. She said they were going to guage interest to see if they would make this available as a replacement part. It's not something they usually sell seperately. Something to do with the fact most folks don't have access to an industrial type sewing machine to install them. If enough folks call them that might sway them into pricing them as a replacement item.

jasonjc

MitchG said:
I finally got GMA to send me a set of the plastic pieces for my top. It took quit a few phonecalls but they came thru in the end. I think the young ladies name was Cynthia that I spoke to. She said they were going to guage interest to see if they would make this available as a replacement part. It's not something they usually sell seperately. Something to do with the fact most folks don't have access to an industrial type sewing machine to install them. If enough folks call them that might sway them into pricing them as a replacement item.
Thats good to hear. I emailed them a few year back about it and they told me the plactic pice where part of the truck :roll: :evil: I just used some screws to reattach the old pices. On mine.