• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Solargizer panel mount locations

Kaiser67M715

Hi all, recently picked up a Solargizer, and am wondering where people have been placing the solar panel- I have seen a couple mounted to the cowl-don't want to drill in the cowl and to the convoy lights, but I don't have convoy lights.

looking for pictures please, and yes I have tried searching.

Thanks.

Kaiser67M715

Ok, I missed that thread-or it never came up in my search. I like the pole in the back of the cab-holds it above the cab for the most light.

I would like to avoid silicone or tape, as I would like the ability to remote mount it should I park it in the shade or in a building, I believe there was enough wire length I could move it away from the truck at least 5 ft.

that pole idea would probably work perfect, so I will look into that, and maybe I could even mount it to the mirror arms, and if I make a base at the top of the pole I could leave it tilted at like a 15 degree angle, and then if i rotate the pole I can get the best angle for the sun.

any more ideas/pictures are certainly welcome, I have seen some interesting things come about in other sorts of auxiliary equipment mounting, and each has a unique way of mounting or storing, and because of that some ideas are better for one application then another set of ideas.

in fact I recently saw the CCKW's of WWII had a tool box or something in the rear of the bed- I'm going to try the same thing for my lug wrenches and breaker bars- and any other objects that may not fit too well in the under cab box.

Kaiser67M715

View attachment 636471 These were installed when I got the truck, not exactly the way I would have installed it but I know what you're saying.
if the cowl didn't enter the actual cab I may be more willing for a cowl spot, but I would like less water intrusion points, as there are enough spots already for water entry. not to degrade your truck, but that is what I would say is a prime example of how not to install panels. silicone and grommets have their spot, but not in a location like that IMO(even though that is the most common spot for military installs)

NovacaineFix

No offense taken, like I said, it was like this when I got it and not the way I would install it. Not that the location is bad, but like you stated, drilling a hole here is direct entry into the cab, not that there isn't a thousand other spots where water can get in, but I agree.

The pole idea on the back of the cab is a good idea as long as you are attaching the pole to something solid and not in an area where you need to access for any kind of maintenance. The one thing I can think of is if you have a canvas top, this spot may not be the best for that situation.

Yeah, that spot is probably the most common for military since it tends to be the least obstructive spot where someone could damage the panels, unless you were mounting trenching tools or barbed wire to the hood like some of the old jeeps did.
Good luck on yours.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks