• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Solargizer Placement

tklm539

I just recieved a Solargizer from Ted's Trucks (very fast shipping). I am curious where people are mounting them.

I was thinking on the top of the leg holding bracket for the gun turret (that I wish I had)

Any thoughts

Tom

m139h2otruck

See the picture in the 5 ton forum under "Stencils, solar charger and gas tank mounts" last posted 4-3-07. Used a flat piece of alum with an alum angle clamped to the post holding the blinky light.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
We mounted them where ever there was a flat spot and the wire reached. There is no TM that will tell you where, cause no such TM exists.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
mhb285, that's slick!! :beer:

Jones

Neat thing about solar cells is that while they work best in full sun, they all create power to a lesser or greater degree in all kinds of daylight. Facing the sky is our only criteria.

JDToumanian

I didn't want my Solargizer's panel permanently mounted to the truck. Solargizers are neat, but to me they somewhat spoil the look of a 1960s truck. So, I installed the circuit box behind the passenger's seat, and it's wired up to the batteries normally. I cut the wiring to the panel and put in a plug and socket from a hobby shop... the kind used to connect battery packs to R/C cars. The panel is mounted to an aluminum holder I made out of a piece of channel that sits over the top of the side window frame and has a piece of thick sheet metal screwed to it that holds the panel at a 45 degree angle to the sun.

It's similar looking to what SierraHotel did, except that it hangs on the top of the passenger's window. When I park the truck I hang it on the window and plug it in, when I drive it's stored in the map compartment.

Jon

Cdub

While the winter months are upon us. I wanted to set up Sharleen with some solargizers to properly maintain the batteries. I set up one solargizer for each pair of 12 volt batteries. The passenger side of the vehicle faces the southern sky while she is parked in the driveway. The hanging portion of the solar cells just sits on top of the window and is removed during traveling and placed in the cab behind the seat.

seya,

C'dub

Attachments

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i got mine hooked up just sitting in front window but i need to perm mount it somewhere i like the one hooked up to the beakon lights TIm

chevycrew

Ok I answered my own question with a google search.

But ill post my findings for all.

I was asking about the use of a solargizer on glass mat style batteries (optimas, etc).

What I found:

http://www.survivalunlimited.com/batteries/solargizer24Lug.htm

They say:

• Works with all conventional flooded lead-acid batteries and sealed “maintenance-free” batteries, including Valve Regulated Lead-Acid (VRLA), Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) and gel cell.