• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Solargizer used for different things

deuce200385

Has anyone ever used a solargizer for say a blockheater or something else cool? Gets pretty cold here and it would be cool if I could get a block heater to work when I'm somplace where I can plug the truck in.

Thanks for the Help

1985 M1008
6" lift
37'' humvee tires

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you are some place where you can plug the truck in why try and use something that will not produce the kind of power required?

You would need a large solar array and batteries to store your power.

Keith_J

A Solargizer puts out about 40 mW of power at high noon. A block heater takes at least 200 watts. That is 0.040 W compared to 200 W.

You could cover your 1008 with solar cells without any meaningful warmth.

MarcusOReallyus

A Solargizer puts out about 40 mW of power at high noon. A block heater takes at least 200 watts. That is 0.040 W compared to 200 W.

You could cover your 1008 with solar cells without any meaningful warmth.

Bingo. A solargizer is good for keeping a battery charged. That's about it.

deuce200385

I realize that it wont directly power anything of worth, just thought it may be able to charge a battery that is used only for some accessories. Does it at least do a good job of charging your main batteries? Is it worth having?

Skinny

I am in the process of wiring in a panel in the back of my M1031 which will have breakers for the block heater, pan heater, and battery chargers. I also have a 120v shore power plug shipping which will make for a simple connection with an extension cord. I also have a small suitcase generator which I could use offsite to warm the pig up or charge the batteries if they are dead.

MarcusOReallyus

It is theoretically possible to use a solar panel to charge a bank of batteries that can be used to run various electrical accessories on your truck. To do anything useful would require more solar panels than you have room for on the vehicle, and a block heater is COMPLETELY out of the question.

Anything more than maintaining charge on your batteries is pretty much a pipe dream.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have used a Solargizer to charge a 1AH battery successfully. It took three MONTHS! And it takes that long to recharge it also. After you do the math, get the correct tool to accomplish the task. You've already been given more information than you need by previous posts here.

Skinny

Better off with a cheapo suitcase generator, you would need an entire roof's worth of panels to power a block heater. Not to mention the sun has to be out which is usually not the case when mine is plugged in. Either that or get a diesel fired coolant heater which will probably set you back atleast $2k but will work the best.

scottladdy

Cold Weather Motor Oil Recommendation

Apologies for diverting off of the OP's original question, but I believe this is cogent to his apparent desire to find ways to improve cold weather operation of his vehicle. This is almost pure opinion, so please take it for what it's worth, especially considering it is free advice.

While I recommend and use block heaters in my vehicles, I personally believe that choice of motor oil is most critical for cold weather operation. This is especially true when you consider that you won't always be able to plug in your heater in all the locations you may park.

The LO9-2320-289-12 Lubricating Order Technical Manual specifies 10 weight viscosity oil for temps between +40 to -25 degrees F (+4 to -32 C).

Of course, this is from 1992 when synthetics were less well understood and affordable.

Warning: Motor Oil Opinion Alert! (recognizing that people can be very passionate in their choice of lubricants)

I have been running Rotella Fully Synthetic T6 in all of my diesels for years and have had great luck with it. It is a 5W-40 viscosity oil that I run year round. While there may be technically "better" oils (Amsoil comes to mind). I find that the T6 provides the best compromise between cost and performance for my needs. And do my trucks start nicely in the cold!

Some of Shell's marketing:
http://youtu.be/MEaf5ES6Xmg

http://www.shell.com/rotella/products/t6.html

Last edited:

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Apologies for diverting off of the OP's original question, but I believe this is cogent to his apparent desire to find ways to improve cold weather operation of his vehicle. This is almost pure opinion, so please take it for what it's worth, especially considering it is free advice.

While I recommend and use block heaters in my vehicles, I personally believe that choice of motor oil is most critical for cold weather operation. This is especially true when you consider that you won't always be able to in plug your heater in all the locations you may park.

The LO9-2320-289-12 Lubricating Order Technical Manual specifies 10 weight viscosity oil for temps between +40 to -25 degrees F (+4 to -32 C).

Of course, this is from 1992 when synthetics were less well understood and affordable.

Warning: Motor Oil Opinion Alert! (recognizing that people can be very passionate in their choice of lubricants)

I have been running Rotella Fully Synthetic T6 in all of my diesels for years and have had great luck with it. It is a 5W-40 viscosity oil that I run year round. While there may be technically "better" oils (Amsoil comes to mind). I find that the T6 provides the best compromise between cost and performance for my needs. And do my trucks start nicely in the cold!

Yes, but can you filter the synthetic and burn it in the truck?

scottladdy

Yes, but can you filter the synthetic and burn it in the truck?
Apologies, but I can't answer this question definitively. I have no intention of burning WMO in my rigs, unless that is all that becomes available. As such, I have not researched this.

But, I'm not sure why you couldn't.

No reason why you shouldn't be able to.

The processes used to create synthetic oil make more consistently sized molecules and don't have the contaminants found in normal oil. The consistent size of the molecule chains allow for better lubrication over an improved temperature range and a longer expected lubricant life.

As for it being a better Deuce fuel??? You be the judge.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks