• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Solargizer

pbrstreetgang

Do I need or want a solargizer? I have looked and looked for different opinions on here but can only come up with how you should / should not hook one up, but nothing on the benefits or risks of having one or not having one.

Boatcarpenter

I'm no electrical expert by any means, but from all my reading, I think you only benefit by having one.
Others will chime in and give you the technical reasons I'm sure.
BC

Scarecrow1

If your going to park it for extended periods where you don't have a power supply then yes but if you drive it once every week or so probably not . Also it its somewhere covered with snow or not enough sun light then its useless . If you plan a long term storage then its best to remove them and place on a trickle charge ....

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The main thing they do is to de-sulfate the cells in the battery. So, for long term parking, in the sunlight, they can help maintain (only - no charging is actually done) a battery. Does not work in darkness, does not work well in rain or dense cloud conditions, or in shadows (park so it gets the most hours of direct sun possible). For the price of two or three of them you can purchase a mini-charger with de-sulfating circuit that can do all your vehicles, one 12 V battery at a time. Your choice!

800summit

I have one on the M35 I live in Alaska. I will go out @ -20F and take a voltmeter and check the voltage, reads 25Vdc when the weather warms up to about 20F the batteries crank the motor just as it they were new. The Soligizer pulsates the plates, keeping them from deteriorating.

Stalwart

I tried one on my rough terrain forklift and my new batteries went bad just the same. I believe them to be a waste of money, I do like AC powered desulphators though.

Earth

So, is a 12v AC powered desulphater correct, charging one battery at a time, or get one with 24v capacity and do 2 or 4 batteries together?

derby

Well ,I have one on one of my trucks and it was not hooked up. I was wondering if it was a good idea to have it on there. full sun light to save $150 batterys vs. full sun light ,dry rotted top, tires and seat? hmmmm.

WyoDeuce

My truck had one from the military but the solar panel was missing. Looked around for just the panel but it was cheaper to buy the whole unit new on e-gay. $40 new in box.