• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Solargizer

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have the solargizers on my trucks and have not had any issues.
If you drive it every day you may not notice any difference.

Nice seat covers, do they fit well or are they loose?

The G Man

Looking good..really like the seat covers. Where did you munt the solar panel for it?

Be sure it has a diode for the solargizer some of the early ones the military tried did not have one. So on overcast days it ended up putting a drain on the battery.

brackecw

They fit better than any others I have had and have plenty of ways to secure them, I just like cotton so the pleather isn't sticking to my back. Think I ordered them from Pep Boys for 20$ a piece

brackecw

Looking good..really like the seat covers. Where did you munt the solar panel for it?

Be sure it has a diode for the solargizer some of the early ones the military tried did not have one. So on overcast days it ended up putting a drain on the battery.

Solar panel is mounted on the dash for now, I am scared to run any external wires for fear of them getting ripped off in the woods. I might move it to the cowl area if this dosent work out, but the led light is on and charging for now.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Solar panel is mounted on the dash for now, I am scared to run any external wires for fear of them getting ripped off in the woods. I might move it to the cowl area if this dosent work out, but the led light is on and charging for now.
They do work on the dash but not as effective as outside the vehicle. According to the factory tech the glass will distort the sun. Of course, in Michigan we only have sun six months out of the year anyway.

mistaken1

Auto glass will cut down on the amount of solar energy reaching the photovoltaic panel. I have a photovoltaic battery charger and it goes from half scale on the dash to full scale when on the hood (exactly what the scale means in terms of absolute power I don't know).

Nice truck BTW.

The G Man

Cool...Does the solargizer have adiode? If not it will turn in a drain on batteries at night or any time sun in not showing.

Might look at adding some quick connects and velco to roof, when four wheeling take it down when done put it back on.

319 is right on track the refracted ( or what ever it is called from the windsheild ) combined with high heat in the summer will make the panel go bad quick.

However my experience with these is about 8 years old...Maybe they are new and improved. If so let me know I am on here to learn

Last edited:

Crash_AF

I mounted mine where the military had already drilled holes for the solargizer they removed. It is on the passenger's side, up by the windshield on the hood. Wires run down through the hood so there's minimal chance they will get caught on anything.

Later,
Joe

1stDeuce

I have solargizers on my deuce and my M1008. They seem to be working fine, and I would swear that the deuce batteries are getting stronger and stronger. (They were really weak when I put them in there... Well abused 6TL's that actually came out of the 1008)

One of my friends just put one on his pickup that sits a lot... I had a spare IS-24-L, and we're seeing what it does... Red light blinks away, just like on the 24V trucks. I think it'll work on 12V too... :)

Note that the 24V solargizers are not really chargers, but rather conditioners to prevent sulfation... I believe the 12V units are actually chargers as well. I do find that the 24V one has a slight charging effect though...

C

Crash_AF

I once ran my 1009 with its overhead strobes and flashers on for 3.5 hours with the engine off as a display for the Disabled American Veteran's neighborhood BBQ. The Solargizer kept the battery up and it wasn't even slow in turning over at the end.

Later,
Joe

lindyp38

i mounted mine where the military had already drilled holes for the solargizer they removed. It is on the passenger's side, up by the windshield on the hood. Wires run down through the hood so there's minimal chance they will get caught on anything.

Later,
joe
can u post a picture....as i will be getting the same set up....for my m1008....thanks

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I've got a solargizer here that I'm not going to use. I think it's only for 12V, but I recall playing around with it and getting 18-20V open current. Anyone know if the "box" is smart enough to work on 24V?

M1009

I have a a full panel mounted tommy roof it's 24volts and charges the batteries just fine. I never really have to worry them running out of juice. It also charges a spare battery that i use only for the accessories, leaving the two batteries just for starting.

Check out my you tube video under "cardedcucv" - battery set up

JDToumanian

Red light blinks away, just like on the 24V trucks.
It's supposed to blink? Mine just glows dimly.... I asked this in a thread a few years ago and didn't get a response, I've assumed it was working all this time. I have two units, I've swapped them and both behave the same - they glow dimly.

Jon

Midnight Rider

It's supposed to blink? Mine just glows dimly.... I asked this in a thread a few years ago and didn't get a response, I've assumed it was working all this time. I have two units, I've swapped them and both behave the same - they glow dimly.

Jon
I think mine stays on. I'll have to check and I'll let you know.

stampy

Most of my trucks have them and I have no problems they have a blocking diode so they won't discharge the battery. I get in and start my truck right up. All of mine are inside the windshield except on my jeep. I definitely think they help!

crasheej

I've got one on my 816. It's mounted on the cowl where the military had them mounted. Mine stays on all the time when the sun is out. I swear by them. A 24 will work on a 12 but a12 will not work on a 24 system.

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice clean under the hoot mounting. Cool!

Jon

Hmm, do you have any idea how to test one of these? I just bought one and was trying to test the output to verify that it worked before I connected it to my truck, but I got zero Voltage or current readings. No light blinkings either. Of course, this testing was indoors close up under a 60W work light. I figured photovoltaic is photovoltaic be it artificial or natural...

Or does this little guy only work properly once connected to the vehicle batteries? Thanks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks