• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Some advice please

MRosser

I've been looking at buying a deuce for about a month...well i found one that has everything that i want on it but a winch the air shift transfer case. the guy said for 650 he would throw in a winch and every nut and bolt to put it on and an air shift transfer case...so is it that easy just to change out the transfer case to an air shift one or what..( i know it HEAVY) but is that the only thing you have to do?

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
It depends on what your labor is worth......

Cost of the truck+cost of the winch (hope that includes the PTO, driveshaft and all linkage) plus the aggravation and frustration of working on a vehicle you are not familar with.
There are a lot of deuces W/W on the market now and prices are down......I would do some checking before I commited to a project like that.
I know you have to take out the seats so you can remove the access covers to do the TF case swap and winch install. You also have to cut a hole in the floor for the winch lever.
Maybe some of the folks that have changed out TF cases can chime in on swapping them out. I have two air shifts out in the back fourty that need a good home.

joeypushjr1

well my man now you have to plum in all your air lines . it could get hairy ive never done it but working on mine and seeing what goes where there might be some time involved in it if ya do.

MRosser

yeah i think wreckerman's right thats prolly a little more work than i want to do...the winch i dont think would be that big of a deal..i could just leave it in the shop floor untill i feel like putting it on..but the transfer case deal is prolly going to be a big project ...

Coal Cracker

I too tried to get all of the eggs in one basket

Whistler, Air Shift, Heater, Winch, Hardtop

I ended up with a D turbo( Which I love) Hardtop, Heater, Springer Seat, AirShift, No Winch

I'd much rather add a winch than wrestle a T-case back into the belly of the beast, then plumb lines, fix leaks.

I don't have a winch yet, and I'm a happy camper

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Transfer case swaps are really not bad. I sure don't fear them, whats an afternoon? That's all it takes to swap one.