• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Some Forking Forking Going on at Bliss

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Was helping out 98G today getting trailers today. After we finished and were driving away, I saw a M934 being loaded out and lifted into the air by a forklift onto a flatbed trailer. Wish I had a photo but whoever is getting that M934 is gonna have some damage. I didn't think they did that crap at Bliss but today proved otherwise. I gotta admit the M934 being lifted was somewhat impressive and they had it on a full back tilt so it's gotta have some side wall as well as suspension damage. I'd be p#$$ed beyond believe if the trucker showed up with that truck to my house.

All people need to ensure inspection, photos and verification for any pickups. I already heard from a member today that he refused to accept a truck he drove several hours to come pick up due to suspension damage.

Last edited:

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
CARNAC, my experience (others' mileage may vary) has shown that, once a truck is removed, it is on you.

61sleepercab

Your beef may be with your trucker who acted as your agent and let the Bozo load the truck that way. I picked up a m105 type trailer recently that was parked in by a GMC type mechanic truck that was locked up with no keys...... No problem Bozo the fork lift operator said as he picked up/loaded/drug the offending truck out of the way creating custom body work as he labored. You would have cried looking at the Humvees, 200 or so armored, thin skinned, 4 doors, ambulances all going to the junk yard.

Last edited by a moderator:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I once used a come-a-long to load a CUCV in Alabama August heat all the while a GL guy was begging me to let him push it on with the loader. He'd already done enough damage before I got there (bent driveshaft and dented drivers door) and there was no way I was letting him get a hold of it again.

I'm in the machinery moving business and routinely move multi-million dollar machines weighing 50+ tons so I know how to load something without damage. It's all I can do to sit there and watch some of the GL "operators".

It's truly rare to find a CUCV without a bent drivesahft (and sometimes a broken transfer case and/or trans). I've seen my fair share of blown tires from forks also. Seems the M939 trucks sustain a lot of brake chamber damage because they will lift them from under the rear axle to move them around.

I don't know what the solution is other than having a way to self recover your truck. If people started trying to force GL to pay for damages, they would just state "buyer loads" and offer no assistance. Who knows if it will be better or worse when Iron Planet takes over.

Last edited:

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bid and won one of two M1008 'twins', both looked really good in the Pics.
When I picked up my M1008, the winner of the other 'twin' had someone picking theirs up.

Start with 4 brand new tires all the way around...add one GL forklift...end up with 3 brand new tires...and a chuckle from GL guy...
and comment from trucker: 'dang, well that's an extra 300$$ for a non-runner'...

1. Preview and take pics if you can
2. Pick up your own, if you can or have someone you REALLY trust
3. Even considering everything, it IS a crapshoot!

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I picked up a non-runner LMVT from ATC that had fresh front cab, bumper, headlight, and tie rod damage caused by combat with a forklift.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is some pics of my M923A1 I won back in 2011, I did preview it and it was undamaged.
After the auction closed they needed to move it, so they used a forklift due to it would not start.
When we got there to pick it up I was so P_)**(). Called the GL guy he said to take some pics and file a clam for the damage, I did all that, but was told later, if you pick it up and leave with it, it is yours!!!!!!!!

Attachments

Artisan

I was at FONTANA a few days ago and I saw M923 I think it was
w/ totally crushed stuff from a monster forklift. I have a picture
of them using a forklift to move trucks and I have seen it many times
as well. You could go look at a truck and see no damage then in a month
if they move it you could get-it. It is VERY concerning. The best thing to
do is do a visual check on the truck, CRAWL IT, take LOTS of pictures and when you
win if there is a problem you have proof.

The guys out there are nice guys but they only have what they have to
move trucks. It takes 2 people and wood blocks and time.
They need to make a pintle lunette loop for one fork and
move them by just picking up the azz end but still, they unload trucks
off lowboys to do it fast* and that is where they put one fork on the
cross member and the other crushes tanks and storage boxes and
I have heard of other parts destroyed by forklift forks as well.
This is forked up.

*Fast is an assumption, there are other issues as well I believe
like trucks loaded onto trailers where the ONLY way to load and
unload a truck is via a forklift or crane, and there ain't no cranes
there that I have seen.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, you have to be prepared to walk away if it's damaged more than you want to accept. That might be hard to do if you traveled a long distance. It's easier to decide if you pick up the item yourself but sometimes that is impractical. I doubt there will be any trucker that will walk away from a load because of damage. If they can get it loaded, it's going, and if you (or your agent) sign for and leave with it, it's yours.

I've only had one truck picked up by someone else, but it was someone I trusted, I sent him pictures and I told him if it had major damage to leave it there. That worked out for me.