• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

some horrible news..........

Monster Man

man, the forum's been gone for so long this will come as a real bombshell- I sold my deuce! Mostly over space concerns, the fact that I have 7 other projects to work on, and need some cash to buy a lathe and a mill. It was great to own such a solid piece of history, but I can't keep up with the maintenance on all my other projects and it would be a shame to let her condition slip.

I deliver her to the new owner today, that'll be bittersweet, but I had my fun. Now it's time for a new project- I haven't decided if it will be a CUCV or a M38 Jeep.

Next up to be sold will probably be our t-bucket, and after that my brother's Lincoln (once we chop the top and do some other body mods)

I just need enough space to store, I don't know, a V-100 Commando? Maybe an M114........

P.S- Bill- the new owner is in Grass Valley. His name is Ben, so if you see my deuce driving around (it has Army stars painted on it now instead of our logos), say hi for me :)

n3uka

Glad to hear you will still be a member of our ranks. We had heard the deuce was up for sale.

Wish I had room for the t-bucket. Looks like a fun toy. 8)

Longhunter7

Think Positive!

MM,

I can relate to your pain! I sold my Deuce this Spring and I truly miss the truck!

I had some of the same issues, and picked up an M37-B1. I am very happy with the little Dodge.

The M38 is a real good choice too. One of the members of my local club has one, but didn't want to sell it. The M38 was on my list!

Sometimes it is good to make a change, it opens up new directions to go. :arrow:

Dieselsmoke

Lance, sorry to hear but with the lathe and mill you can make $$$ for a bigger storage space (although, bigger still is never enough...)
Make sure and give the new owner my number (unless he seems like a pest LOL) I might have to hire ya for some projects :)

You gonna make it to Tower Park next month?? The bad thing is, the MG show at Mustang is the same weekend.

red devils dude

I think MM put a REB kit it so there sgould be a cable pull or lever or something if not and its still a sprang
you just drive it it works like a Limited Slip Differential.

btadams1

There is no REB kit in the truck yet...I will put one in. I thought that was only for the front tho? It just seems like only the rear 4 tires spin now and so it gets stuck easily. Will replacing the front drive shaft truly give me all 10 wheels? P.S. Sorry if this seems dumb...I am a totally newbie.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe rear driveshaft is pulled? Or one of the rear axleshafts? Lots of owners pull one or the other for better steering and gas mileage. Mine spins really easy because I have a rear axle shaft pulled...
Dennis

Last edited:

btadams1

MM didnt say they were. In fact he said they werent pulled. I'm just not sure. What does the "high" versus "low" on the transfer case do then?

Monster Man

hey Ben- as of right now, the middle differential has an axleshaft pulled- the driveshaft between the two differentials is still in place though. The spare axle shaft is under the seat if you wish to put it back in- and you may if you won't be driving on pavement. The reason it was pulled is because with the axleshafts in and the driveshaft in, the tires scrub a lot around turns.

Each differential is open- there were a few trucks with Detroit lockers, but very few.

The front drivehsaft is removed (to reduce drag since the sprag doesn't work), but the axles are in the differential. To get front drive you will need to:

a) pull the axle cap off of the middle differential, passenger side
b), reinsert the axleshaft
c) take off the desplined caps I made for the front- the small caps with eight bolts
d) put the splined caps back on the front
e) put the front driveshaft back on

then, the REB kit goes in- there are no cables for the REB kit as was mentioned- the REB kit is essentially a stack of gears and a shift lever that replaces the sprag unit in the transfer case output cover. The front output cover comes off, you take out the gears that are in there, they just fall out, then you put your REB gears in, bam, "spicergear" can help you with the little details :) It's really a pretty simple install- I think it took me a few hours to get the output cover off and on, and the gears fall right in. The case does NOT need to be pulled out of the truck, though the air line that runs across the frame crossmemember needs to be unbolted and pulled out of the way for clearance. For an afternoon of work you get a lot accomplished- cost was the only factor keeping me from installing it, since I never warranted more than four wheel drive except in the snow.

the low range really only comes in handy for first or second gear for crawling up mountains- unless you're fast enough and have an extra arm to split gears going down the highway!

these pictures should clarify a little:

the t-case with output cover not pictured, and sprag unit still there. The pinion needs to be removed from the output cover to get the sprag stack out if I remember correctly.........

the output cover removed with the srpag gears still in it on the right, on the left is an airshift output cover

the transfer case without the output cover attached

Monster Man

in stock form, the spring loaded linkage from the trans to the transfer case in first or second gear will tell the transfer whether the to have the sprag ready. It senses inside the case whether the front wheel has traction, and will engage the sprag accordingly.

The Memphis kit just replaces the linkage and the whole stack of gears with the sprag and collar and all that with solid gears and a lever, so that when you engage the new Memphis shift lever (that you cut a hole in your floor for), it 100% engages the front wheel drive. It will work in any gear, high or low forward or reverse, as opposed to the sprag only working in some configurations. No hassle with airlines or any of that either. It sets it up just like a standard gear shift transfer

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks