• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

some newbi M998 questions

frauhansen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello together!!

I expect my M998A2 in the course of spring.
And since patience is not my thing, I'm already gathering material. And there arise a par questions.

Question 1: Tire size
I want to use the original 16.5" rims.
Up to what size above the 37s fit because still underneath without it grinds.

Question 2: Winch
Is the original 24V electric or the hydraulic winch recommended?
Or better get a new one from Warn?

Question 3: Tires
Are all 16.5 tires also suitable for the Bedlock rims?

Question 4: Shock absorbers
On ebay you can only find the original shock absorbers. Are these recommended or is there possibly something nice from Bilstein as a replacement?

Question 5: Workshop manual
Has the community here by chance a downloadable workshop manual?

So, these are the first questions... but there will be more for sure.

Greetings from snowy switzerland..

Gerd

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello together!!

WELCOME

And since patience is not my thing, I'm already gathering material. And there arise a par questions.

Start reading the forum. Everything.

Finding tires for these rims is difficult so you might want to stick with 37's. I wouldn't go above 40's BUT others have with different rims.

You need more than a winch... You need the bumper extensions and the special bumper... Or go aftermarket with Plan B Truck (that is the company name) parts. All in we are talking a few thousand dollars.

Beadlocks are NOT road legal. Any tire is a candidate for offroad beadlocks.

On ebay you can only find the original shock absorbers. Are these recommended or is there possibly something nice from Bilstein as a replacement?

CEPEK makes great adjustable shock absorbers. You can also get civilian H1 units IIRK.

You need to immediately look for the TM manuals section to this forum. All the manuals are here for FREE!!!

Start reading! Look over all the posts.

Greetings right back at you from the US of A

Gerd

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello together!!

WELCOME

Start reading the forum. Everything.

Finding tires for these rims is difficult so you might want to stick with 37's. I wouldn't go above 40's BUT others have with different rims.

You need more than a winch... You need the bumper extensions and the special bumper... Or go aftermarket with Plan B Truck (that is the company name) parts. All in we are talking a few thousand dollars.

Beadlocks are NOT road legal. Any tire is a candidate for offroad beadlocks. (Your country might vary).

CEPEK makes great adjustable shock absorbers. You can also get civilian H1 units IIRK.

You need to immediately look for the TM manuals section to this forum. All the manuals are here for FREE!!!

Start reading! Look over all the posts.

Greetings right back at you from the US of A

Gerd

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well just above this posting is the link to the TMs (technical manuals)
Just about any larger tires require a body lift
Winch is a matter of personal preference, just remember the Hydraulic requires the truck to be running, any 24V winch will work.
I would wait on shocks until you see how your truck drives, it will never be a smoth ride.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So the factory tires are not "road legal"?
EDIT I looked it up, in the USA only external bead locks are not legal, the stock HMMWV bead locks and all internal ones like the Trailworthy ones ARE legal as their failure would not cause the tire to separate from the rim.

Last edited:

cucvmule

collector of stuff
Welcome from Missouri

Get all the manuals you can and have available that way when you need you have.

Having access to the Forum TM's is great, and being able to download is good also, but if you do not have computer access, lost power, on the trail, away from home, and do not have a way to get on line or have your computer with you, you can have a paper manual to use. And spilling coffee or getting grease on a computer is not advisable. [thumbzup]

Willkommen

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For tires, you can usually go up to 39" safely with nothing else done to the truck, but you will have issues if the springs are old/sagging.
You can't run tire chains on 39" without modifying the truck.

the "beadlock rims" are standard 16.5" rims, with a big spacer in the middle of the tire to be a beadlock. The military uses a rubber spacer as it will squish a little due to varying tire bead thicknesses between brands. It can pretty much work with any 16.5" tire.
If you use a PVC beadlock like TrailWorthyFab sells, you have to tell them the exact tire you are running for them to make the beadlock the correct size.

Winch is personal choice for type. Hydraulic winch has much better duty cycle (can be used continuously forever) where electric has to be allowed to cool off in order to not overheat and become damaged. Downside of hydraulic is it's pretty hard on the power steering pump, so you might end up replacing them on a regular basis, depending on how much you use the winch.

For occasional use electric is great. For heavy duty continuous hydraulic is best.

Warn is a good brand of winch. Milemarker makes the hydraulic winch, but also has a 24V electric series that fit with very minor modification to their hydraulic winch mounting plate. Sherpa also has a 24V winch, but requires a different winch mounting plate.
Usually electric winches require extensions in the front, but as mentioned before, you can fit the milemarker electric onto the hydraulic plater and it tucks in neatly without sticking out or hanging down.

The TMs are in the TMs section of the forum, in the "present conflict vehicles" subforum.

Last edited:

frauhansen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
WOW!!! I am thrilled how quickly here is helped. Even if I have just not completely searched the forum before I asked my beginner questions.
So I will devote myself freely also gladly each answer in detail.

Well just above this posting is the link to the TMs (technical manuals)
Just about any larger tires require a body lift
Winch is a matter of personal preference, just remember the Hydraulic requires the truck to be running, any 24V winch will work.
I would wait on shocks until you see how your truck drives, it will never be a smoth ride.
I tryed to find the M998 TM in the forum. First try from the iphone... thats too mutch... need a second try... will do this the next days.

Winch...
Winch. I am aware that this is a double-edged issue.
The hydraulic winches are dependent on a functioning and running servo pump. And it is also cooled by the airstream. This is rather absent when winching. But they have power.
Electric winches can always be supplied with power, even if my truck has no more power. But the power is limited.
I think I will go for the electric one. Simply because I only need them in tricky situations. And that is hopefully rare.

So the factory tires are not "road legal"?
EDIT I looked it up, in the USA only external bead locks are not legal, the stock HMMWV bead locks and all internal ones like the Trailworthy ones ARE legal as their failure would not cause the tire to separate from the rim.
The "road legal" plays no role for me here in CH/DE. The registration will be as a classic car and therefore I am even obliged to drive the original rims.

Get all the manuals you can and have available that way when you need you have.

Having access to the Forum TM's is great, and being able to download is good also, but if you do not have computer access, lost power, on the trail, away from home, and do not have a way to get on line or have your computer with you, you can have a paper manual to use. And spilling coffee or getting grease on a computer is not advisable. [thumbzup]

Willkommen
Thanks... I had read over that. Will dedicate myself to the days. Currently with the iphone is very very extensive.

For tires, you can usually go up to 39" safely with nothing else done to the truck, but you will have issues if the springs are old/sagging.
You can't run tire chains on 39" without modifying the truck.
Thanks... so i will stick on the 37" for the moment.
On the one hand because I do not know the vehicle yet.
It is probably a stock vehicle that was refitted and restored 10 years ago by the military from the M998 to the M998A2. Has probably no 1000mi on the clock.

But how much the springs have suffered I do not know at the moment.
My aim is to have as many parts as possible already in the container when it goes on the journey to Europe to save shipping costs.

the "beadlock rims" are standard 16.5" rims, with a big spacer in the middle of the tire to be a beadlock. The military uses a rubber spacer as it will squish a little due to varying tire bead thicknesses between brands. It can pretty much work with any 16.5" tire.
If you use a PVC beadlock like TrailWorthyFab sells, you have to tell them the exact tire you are running for them to make the beadlock the correct size.
thx...noted!
Winch is personal choice for type. Hydraulic winch has much better duty cycle (can be used continuously forever) where electric has to be allowed to cool off in order to not overheat and become damaged. Downside of hydraulic is it's pretty hard on the power steering pump, so you might end up replacing them on a regular basis, depending on how much you use the winch.

For occasional use electric is great. For heavy duty continuous hydraulic is best.

Warn is a good brand of winch. Milemarker makes the hydraulic winch, but also has a 24V electric series that fit with very minor modification to their hydraulic winch mounting plate. Sherp also has a 24V winch, but requires a different winch mounting plate.
Usually electric winches require extensions in the front, but as mentioned before, you can fit the milemarker electric onto the hydraulic plater and it tucks in neatly without sticking out or hanging down.
Thanks.... this helps a lot.... see above..
I am not saying that I am the great welder. But I know that what I weld holds. I weld quite often MAG and also TIG. I think I can do the holding plates underneath. But thanks for the stickwords.... that I get.

The TMs are in the TMs section of the forum, in the "present conflict vehicles" subforum.
I'm looking forward when I find the time tomorrow. Then I rummage through it.

cucvmule

collector of stuff
frauhansen, allot of information takes time to read and learn. And having the HMMWV there for you to see will be even more fun.

There are a bunch of swell members here and reading helps to understand the answers more appropriately. And helps to narrow down a question for better detail in the answers.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks