• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Some prices for parts

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Hibernation is over and I am gearing up to get back to work on the truck (1973 M51A2). Just trying to compare some prices.

Most important: how much would a reliable used steering house (Ross Hydrapower type) would set me back, anybody has one laying around?

How much for a good used original soft top (canvas)?

I probably will end up welding one myself, but just curious, how much would a hard-top set me back?

KsM715

If you dont mind a vinyl top they are pretty reasonable, less than $200USD before shipping. A hardtop, well one sold at auction (GL) for $915USD before fees. Hardtop prices are crazy high right now.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
I presume the original soft covers and also the troop carrier covers are/were made of heavy-duty canvas? I am asking because the town where the truck is now has a few companies who can make covers in any design you give them. I will ask them next week, but like to know what amounts we are talking about.

Apart from originality, what are the advantages - disadvantages of canvas vs vinyl

Hard top: I was afraid of that already, and I like welding and forming parts, so I will make one myself this summer.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
GMA Cover Corp sells new vinyl tops either solid green or 3 color for $171 ea.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Got myself a nice present today. Bought some material at REOMIE's and asked for prices of used and new soft and hard tops. They finally sold me a completely new original canvas cabin top for $210 (150 EUR). They gave me a 20 EUR rebate on it as donation to the museum.

Rear brake hose set be back 10 EUR ($14) including some discount. For clarity, I am talking about the flexible line from the middle of the tandem to the rear rear axle.

Unfortunately, they do not have solid brake lines, still a problem.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Finding a canvas cargo cover will be tough in my opinion. I have never seen one for sale and the only ones I have ever seen have come out on trucks and were in older condition (and, even then, most of the few that have come out on trucks were vinyl). You might be best served...if you have to have canvas...by acquiring an old vinyl cargo cover and having the canvas manufacturer use that as a template.

Advantages/disadvantages to vinyl: Vinyl will last longer than canvas, but it may not look correct depending upon the period you are trying to represent with your truck.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
I think that finding one for the dumpt truck here will be near to impossible. I asked some manifacturers here and as expected, their remark was that it's not so much the material as the work. So a soft top for the cabin would come to $ 400 to make (I bought a NOS for $200). A normal cargo would be not so expensive, but a real dump truck cover with its strange flap over the cabin protector would make it expensive again.

Still thinking about it, but have to find money first.