• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Some Random New Guy questions

AgDeuce

A friend and I have been interested in deuce's for a long time, and are contemplating the purchase of a local truck after years of dreaming. It is a 1980 with low hours, low miles, supposedly new engine and transmission from the military before being purchased by a guy in Michigan who restores and flips the vehicles. His name is Jose (JOSEDEV.COM) and I bet some of you know him. He sold a truck to someone who drove it to Texas and planned to ship it to Germany, but that sale fell through and now it is for sale locally in Texas.

It is a radio truck, and while I like the M109 myself my friend is not so gung ho. However, I think the running gear with the new engine and transmission, new PTO, air engaged transfer case, etc. It starts right up and looks straight and rust free. The box is also in excellent condition. And most importantly, the price is right.

Given that, and the fact my friend doesn't want the box, can I get that box off? Are other collectors interested in M109 boxes in excellent shape? Is a box for bed/bows/canvas trade a realistic thought? I found a thread where someone did get the box off themselves and I think they ended up turning it into a shed. If I couldn't find someone to trade with, how much is a bed with cargo seats, bows, and a top? I am trading the convenience of a local, low price purchase with the hassle of trying to swap out the box, is that just crazy?

One last question - most canvas covers I see are barn style, i.e. cover sides and top. Are there open side canvas covers available, like a "safari style" top that just covers the top and leaves the sides open?

Thanks! If we don't get this one I think we are committed to find one in the near future. we are in Austin, TX if you are curious.

hole

Out here clean beds can be had for $300-$500 not including bows,seats,or cover. Tell yor buddy to suck it up and keep it a 109;-)

poppop

Swapping beds is no problem. Just take out the bolts and lift it off. Thr Vinal covers and I think the canvass ones have provisions to roll the sides and fronts and backs up and secure them there. You roll them with the roll on the inside so if it rains it won't catch water.

Oilleaker1

Two ways to look at it, the guys bobbing deuces have the old bed for sale for around 500.00, but you need to go get it, shipping----well forget it. Or-------you bob and put a trailer bed on yours! There is a thread of " To Bob or not to Bob" going on so I'll leave the decision to you. I like them both because I'm sick----Green Disease!:beer:

Heavysteven

So did you buy it?

The paint looks good. For 6k I hope you drove and verified the drescripition. Only thing I saw was that the hubs were not flipped on the rear end.

Heavysteven

I say take your time save your money and keep checking the GL site. Preview, Preview, and Preview

Owning a deuce is a life sytle, they love fuel, time, labor, and money. Your happy one then the next your axle seals are leaking.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For future reference, It's bad to post an auction link (especially if you're bidding on it). While we all like to think of everybody around here as friends, they will snatch a truck out from under you in a heartbeat. Posting a link is just advertising for more competition.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I see some mismatches in paint color so it is possibly patched up. The "105" stenciled on the front fenders is tire pressure. Someone is going to be very unhappy and it lots of pain if they try that with those tires (provided they survive). I'm also wondering, where are the rest of the tires? That price is kinda high for me. You might reach out to John Colwell in Waxahatchee. He goes by metexaco here in Steel Soldiers.
The M35A2 Page

littlebob

:grin:Sorry if this is answer to a question not asked, but I wouldn't go into a partnership on anything mechanical. You already stated You both had maybe different views on what you wanted. I wouldn't do it regardless of the contraption being looked at.

AgDeuce

I decided not to purchase this particular deuce, focusing instead on a troop carrier and not radio body.

It is back for sale on ebay, if anyone is interested.

jakemanzee22

i agree with littlebob. when i was younger i went half on a el camino with a buddy and to say the least, horrible decision. save up to buy one outright so every ounce of green metal on the truck is yours. that way you can be totally happy with any decision you make, and not have to worry about pleasing someone else. good luck.

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
AgDeuce,

Good for you to go slow. This site will learn you about prices, sources and what to buy.

Did you follow the advise of Recovery4x4 to contact metexaco?

Fellow SS members in your area are a tremendous resource for info, wisdom and advise. I cannot think of a better recommendation.

Best wishes and happy hunting,

Rick

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks