• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Something strange: M1123 HMMWV 30kw On Board Generator Equipped Prototype 6.5L 4-speed

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Info on this strange setup.. Unit is equipped with a 30kw 3-phase generator sandwiched between the 6.5L diesel engine and the 4-speed automatic transmission. This is believed to be one of two prototypes that were made. The generator is designed to feed a rectifier behind the passenger seat, which in turn fed a 3-phase invertor behind the drivers seat so the appropriate AC voltage could be produced regardless of engine speed. Currently the generator produces 3-phase AC power, but the invertor appears to be non-functional. The engine is equipped with a electronic governor, so the truck can produce AC power in at 220V for house hold applications, or 208V 3-phase as required.

s-l400 - 2022-04-23T054034.796.jpg

s-l400 - 2022-04-23T054120.454.jpg

MarkM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
More pics on it on the auction site.

I would guess that unit at full tilt will use at least 50 to 60hp out of the anemic NA 6.5. I would also think cooling would be a big issue with the truck static.

Mark

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been seeing that one for sale for a long time now on various places. Interesting concept, but ultimately it's much more useful to just have a separate generator to run whatever you need to

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Less obvious in a combat theatre, like a specialized deuce with a regular canvas cover.

It doesn't look like a electronic support vehicle. Stealthy lil' thing.

DG

Guyfang

Staff member
Not a new idea. Back in the late 60's and early 70's we had a M548 track, modified to be come a M727 Hawk Missile Launcher. It had a 30 KW generator coupled by a quill shaft to the rear of the Detroit Diesel 6V53, 6-cylinder, 204 hp Diesel Engine. It was not a roaring success. This happened several times.

Attachments

blutow

More pics on it on the auction site.

I would guess that unit at full tilt will use at least 50 to 60hp out of the anemic NA 6.5. I would also think cooling would be a big issue with the truck static.

Mark
60hp would be about right. I’ve read that the cooling fan can pull 20hp as well, so you are at 80hp plus whatever you loose with other stuff spinning. It don’t think they would intend to operate it while it’s driving, so it seems doable. I don’t think it would push the limits of the engine and I’d bet the cooling would keep up (maybe). With the horizontal orientation of the radiator, it doesn’t get the same airflow benefit at speed like normal cars. That fan moves a lot of air when the engine is spun up, whether the truck is moving or stationary.

MarkM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not sure what rpm they would go for when running as a generator. I would guess the target rpm would be around 2200 tp 2500rpms. The hood vent and grill are designed to deflect air down into the engine bay and into the engine bay but that would not help running static under load.

I think they would have been better off with a large alternator and inverter producing 10k watts and spike to 12k. This would be more doable and give a fair amount of power. The electronic governor reliably would be concerning. Just my .02 cents

Mark

blutow

I think they would have been better off with a large alternator and inverter producing 10k watts and spike to 12k. This would be more doable and give a fair amount of power. The electronic governor reliably would be concerning. Just my .02 cents
Yeah, but at some point you are maxing out what's possible with a belt driven unit of a reasonable size. From the pics I've seen of the 400a generator, that's got to be pushing the max. That puts out a bit of power, but nowhere near 30kw. I'm guessing this failed because it just makes more sense to buy a generator and stick it in the back of the truck or tow it. PTO-driven generators can make a lot of sense for equipment that has a PTO, but a lot less sense when you have to redesign to accomodate it. Yeah, it's possible to mash it all together and make a hmmwv power station, but it would never make sense adding the complexity in parts, service, etc. when you will still need stand-alone generators.

MarkM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh I agree it's so much easier to just tow whatever you need and be able to leave it anywhere. I have to wonder just what was the R&D costs for this system.

Mark

Guyfang

Staff member
Guyfang, I helped scrap one of those M548's with the 400Hz generator back in the early 90's.

I still have some of the engine parts today.

DG
Then you saw a rare bear. The were only 4 battalions of S/P Hawk. All in Germany. 3/7 ADA, 3/60 ADA, 1/1 ADA and 2/2 ADA. Each had 18 launchers. And there was at least 0ne "Float" to cover things like the burned out track above. There were 2 at the school house in Ft. Bliss.
1650815375865.png
Great idea, poorly executed. I would guess the Hummer above suffered from the same faults as our SPL. 10 pounds of crap packed into a 5 pound bag. The Hummer would have been a nightmare to work on. Heat was a killer for us, and that's why at least 2 burned up that I know of in Germany. Over heating, caused fires.

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All the missile rack and launcher was removed when we were hired to 'disassemble' the 548.

No clue what unit it came from, but was in Southern AZ.

DG

Guyfang

Staff member
Almost all of them were sold to Israel. No unit in the States had them. Just Germany, as far as I know. The school house, and maybe Raytheon might have had some left over. The school house was in Ft. Bliss.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks