• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Somethings not Right with the Deuce

muthkw25

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Today I tried starting the truck to run it. I do this once a week to keep everything in check. We have had a cold spell lately so I plugged the truck in over night to make sure it would start easier today. I got in the truck as usual and Pulled the stop cock out, turn on the accessory switch and pressed the start button. As I was holding the start button down, everything was working as normal and while I was holding it, the starter stopped working. The engine was trying to turn over like normal for a second and then the starter stopped and when I tried pressing the start button again, nothing happened. I looked at my battery gauges and all my gauges were working. I tried the start button again and nothing seemed to be working. I got out and looked at the batteries and decided to hook up a charger just to make sure everything was ok. When I hooked up each battery they were only drawing about 1 amp. This normally means the batteries are charged. I decided to leave the charger on one battery and then switched to the other. I hooked everything back up and tried again and the same thing happened. Nothing. I checked the lights, and the pump in the tank and everything seemed to work, except the start button. This means to me either the starter is bad, or I have bigger problems. If it was hydrostatic shock, it would be a loud bang and I didn't get that. It sounded more like the starter gave out. I checked the connections and everything seems to be in order. Do any of you guys have any advice to what might have happened? The fuel hasn't gelled, it hasn't gotten that cold in PA yet, and with it being plugged in over night, it should have been warm enough to warm some fuel in the motor. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I might start with the starter button. Then the ground strap from starter to frame. Then bypassing solenoid to see if starter will spin. Good luck and lets not speak the words Hydrolock on this board.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I might start with the starter button. Then the ground strap from starter to frame. Then bypassing solenoid to see if starter will spin. Good luck and lets not speak the words Hydrolock on this board.
When you hear hoof beats you think horses, not zebras as Floridianson pointed out.

Start simple and work your way to catastrophic failure. Switch and all connections first. Then tears things apart. Get a multimeter on it as well.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
:ditto: What he said! Had the same problem last week with 818 corrosion on solenoid wire.

Last edited:

Barrman

The starter button gets its power from the master on/off switch. Make sure it is all the way up when pushing the red start button. Mine did that for a while until I swapped out switches and all is good.

As already said, start simple, cheap and easy. Then start to worry about the big stuff when nothing else is left.

TMNT

Double check you battery terminal connections and check voltage with a multi-meter. I had a terminal get slightly loose on the strap between the two batteries. It looked like it was connected, but it wouldn't carry any current. The symptoms were similar to yours. In my case though, the loose terminal had some visible heat damage. I cleaned that up and put the cables back on good and tight and everything worked again.

Like the others have said, be methodical and just follow the DC path checking for voltage, good connections, switch operation, and hope you find something simple interrupting the flow. Based on your description, it doesn't sound like, well, you know, the H word.

muthkw25

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I got it to fire up. It must be the start button. If I use a wire and get the connections just right inside the plug (The plug that connects to the switch) it will fire. I am putting a meter on the start switch to see if it is getting a connection. If it doesn't get a connection its the start button. If the start button works and I by passed it and it works, the plug that connects to the start button is bad and I will have to by one and splice it in.

Its weird because unless I have a perfect connection inside the plug, it wont turn over. Thanks for everyones help. I am glad its not the starter or solenoid.

TMNT

I remember now that mine had a flaky start button in it when I first acquired it. It was necessary to press it really hard to make it work. You can get a new one from several places, but here's the one I bought and its been working great for two years now.

Start Switch.jpg

I bought it at Erik's Military Surplus, item number 11640178 for $32.

Merc1973

I remember now that mine had a flaky start button in it when I first acquired it. It was necessary to press it really hard to make it work. You can get a new one from several places, but here's the one I bought and its been working great for two years now.

View attachment 467216

I bought it at Erik's Military Surplus, item number 11640178 for $32.
Mine was the same way.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks