• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Soon to recover M35a2

Jeepsinker

Going to recover a deuce in the next few days and upon my inspection last weekend I found that only the service brakes work, no air assist. The turn signal switch is also missing, and it has been in mud a lot lately, so I don't feel that it could be driven the 90 or so miles home safely. My only real question is, do I need to remove the jackshaft to tow it with the front wheels off the ground, or can it be left installed without worry of damage to drivetrain components? I figure its good practice to leave both trans and t- case in neutral for towing. Could also use some recovery help to save from a monstrous tow bill if anyone can help.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
When towing a deuce I know nothing about I put the trans and Tcase in N, and I pull the axles/spline caps. The only thing moving at that point is the bearings. As long as the bearings have grease in them, you should be ok.

Since you said it has been in the mud, you might want to go through the bearings just in case.

Jeepsinker

Yeah, it's been in so much mud that weeds are growing in the bumper hoops in the rear, and because of that I'm sure the axles are full of water too. I really need to find someone with a flatbed to bring it home where I can really tear it down and go through it without being in the dirt. Appreciate the input gimp.

Heath_h49008

Be careful with it. Sounds like you have an "abused green child" on your hands. Mudboggers can be pretty rough on them.

As usual Gimp is right... Mud=water=bearing troubles if they haven't been serviced.

Good luck, and take lots of pictures!

Jeepsinker

Oh you bet! Probably won't be long until I'm looking for a motor for it. When we test drove it the owner was treating it like a race truck. Revving the piss out of it... Another reason I'm having it towed home. I never abuse the green children.

Diecorpse

I hope the po is giving you a good deal if the truck is abused like you said. I have seen plenty of Deuces for sale at a decent price. Just depends on how far your willing to go to get one. I can only imagine how the clutch and tranny conditions are. . .

Diecorpse

Thats not bad. For that price, you can't beat it, especially since uncle sam is almost completely depleted of M35's. Hope your recovery goes well.

Last edited:

Diecorpse

I have done lots to mine, including head gaskets and piston/sleeve replacement. If you need or having questions on anything let me know or post/ research the forum. Lots of help here and info. Also, Gimpy robb is a good guy to deal with. He helped me a lot with my issues.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, it's been in so much mud that weeds are growing in the bumper hoops in the rear, and because of that I'm sure the axles are full of water too. I really need to find someone with a flatbed to bring it home where I can really tear it down and go through it without being in the dirt. Appreciate the input gimp.

Very sane conclusion. It is incredibly tempting to just start the truck and get it going. In the end, you may cause more work and expense for yourself. Patience is a virtue and if you flatbed it home and tear it apart before doing anything else, it is probably the better investment of time and money.

Jeepsinker

Where is Dry Creek.
I am in Bush, LA.
Dry Creek is in southwest Louisiana, about 30 minutes south of Fort Polk. I'm on the member map. North of Lake Charles, but south of Leesville. Oh Cattlerepairman, how long of a flatbed trailer do I need to bring the deuce home safely? Found a friend with a gooseneck flatbed, but I want to be sure it's long enough before I have him drive nearly 100 miles one way.

Jeepsinker

Alright, so the truck I was linedup to buy didn't work out. The guy backed out on me, stopped returning my calls. I did however, find one in much better shape with a winch already installed. Bought it from another SS member and quite happy with my purchase! Left out for Alabama Saturday night at about 7:30 and arrived sometime around 4:30. Had a bite to eat at Waffle House and then met up to look at the truck at around 6 from what I remember. Spent a couple hours talking with Jeremy and checking out all the cool green stuff he has. Went over the truck real quick and left out for home. Got home at around 11-11:30. Trip was uneventful. No problems that required the use of a wrench. Rear hubs got a bit warm but not searing hot. E- brake rattled the whole time because the mustache spring had lost one of the anchor studs. Not too bad for my first deuce recovery at a total of 557 miles at 50 mph. Clutch needs adjusted and the brakes need bled and adjusted, and needs a front passenger side knuckle boot. That's all I see so far. Oh, and it's a 69' Kaiser Jeep M35a2. One owner (after the army) auction sticker is still in the driver side window. Just want to say thank you to Jeremy. Anyone that buys anything from him can rest assured that he does not misrepresent what he sells and he is fair, as well as being a pleasure to hang out with.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks