• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

sorry for the airdale question

heartland41

I was hoping to glean some information for those who have volumes more knowledge than myself. I have the opportunity to purchase an M35A2 from a friend. The unit in question is the standard 5 speed. I was wondering if it were feasible to replace the 5 speed with an Allison Automatic transition. I know "anything is possible" but I was hoping if someone could tell me if this swap were feasible and or even possible. The engine in question is a White Multi Fuel.
Thank you

hklvette

possible? sure. Practical? depends on which allison is used. if it has overdrive gears, it'd probably be ok. If not, you will make the deuce's low top speed even lower.

saddamsnightmare

May 27th, 2010.

:ditto: The deuce is rated at 54-56 MPH at red line on standard 9:00X20 tires, goes up to 63 with 11:00X20's...... The M35A3 with the Allision 4 speed auto I think can barely clear 55 and is very near its red line too.....:shock:

yetti96

Can I ask the reason for the change? Do you not want to drive a manual, or want easier cruising? If you just have to have an automatic, I would look at an A3.

Jones

Allisons come in a variety of configurations, even within a single model line.
Overdrive, direct, underdrive, retarder / non-retarder, one neutral position or two, pto / non-pto, etc. If you're putting this into a deuce, make sure you get a non-electronic Allison or you'll end up having to put an on-board computer in to control up and down-shifting, and kick-down.
The bell housings are SAE bolt pattern so bolt-up isn't a problem although you may need to go with an adapter, SAE3 to SAE2 if I remember correctly.
The question boils down to how much time and effort, and money do you want to spend on the project?

Allison has a whole bunch of information available to help you make some sense of it all. Also a little handbook called "Mechanic's Tips" that takes you through the installation and set-up.
These are free(?) from your local Allison dealer.
Once you've made your choice, you can always start scouting the local truck wrecking yards armed with a specific model/build number. The serial number decodes to how a particular transmission was built.
The litany here is "read the manual" and it's definately true with this one. Doing your homework can save you a lot of grief and headaches and wasted effort.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
An automatic wouldn't be as cool as a stick.
Heck, Clint Eastwood wouldn't have been as cool as he was if he had used an automatic in Dirty Harry.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here I was excited because the subject says airdale, the name of aviation sailors on a carrier.

Talk about a let down.

:-(

steve

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks