• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

sorry guys need help again

67buickss

ok guys im sorry lol yea i must be completely stupid but, i just got a brand new gear reduction starter on my 6.2 cucv. do i need a remote solenoid? or why does it engage when main post connects to power not starter switch?

Tnrobocop

I know on other GM's I have worked on, there is a power stud and starter stud, along with a small stud.

Sounds like you are putting in on the wrong stud. But even worse it sounds like you are installing it with the power still connected, which is a good way to fry your electrics.

SterlingDevelop

Let me ask this, is the wiring different somehow than the one that you took off?

I know that you have a gear red. starter but the electrical operation is the same.

I think there should only be two wires to this starter one to 24 volts, one to solenoid.

Some of the gurus can correct me, but I believe the solenoid is 12v.

Is your wiring stock?

jimm1009

Sounds like you are on the output side of the solenoid rather than on the input (battery side).
If this is true then you are bypassing the solenoid and effectively running the starter all the time (if left hooked up that is).
jimm1009

ida34

Is the cucv stock starter relay under the dash still in place? They are known to stick shut causing a starter to run till destruction. I thought you posted it had been converted to 12 volt. If so you should wire out the relay under the dash. If your starter is a 24 volt starter then the solenoid is also 24 volts. The relay under the dash takes the 12 volt impulse from the stock 12 volt ignition switch to trigger the relay. The relay then lets 24 volts go through to the 24 volt solenoid.

End result.

If you have 24 volt system still in place for the starter then replace the relay under the dash.

If the system has been converted to 12 volt then simply bypass the relay under the dash.

To clarify terms. Solenoids move something and in this case it engages the starter bendix. Relays make it possible to trigger large current draws with a smaller current impulse signal. GM has the relay built into the solenoid. A stock GM truck does not have a separate relay. The CUCV comes stock with a relay to control 24 volts to the start portion of the starter by the 12 volt ignition switch. The relay under the dash of the cucv is not because of high current but is there because of the difference between the 12 volt stock system and the 24 volt starter.

I hope this is coming out clear.

67buickss

ok well i am in process of converting my truck now to 12 volt, and i no longer have a starter relay the owners before me just put in a push button switch for the starter. so i will just send 12v to that push button. and hope that converting the system fixes the problem.

ida34

When does the starter start running? Is it when the big wire is connected or the small wire? The big wire should have voltage all of the time and the short wire should only have voltage when the ignition switch is on or , in your case, when the button is pushed. I would check again to make sure they pulled out the relay. Have you physically checked to make sure the relay is disconnected or removed? They might have put in the button and actually just bypassed the ignition switch instead of the ignition switch and the relay. It sounds like they did not know what they were doing so I would bet they might have had problems with the relay under the dash sticking and they did not know it was there. They might have thought the ignition switch was the problem. If they did not know cucv's they would not know about the relay. Maybe they bypassed the ignition switch to correct a problem with the relay.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks