• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Sort of like a CUCV

dilvoy

Here is the project that I'm mainly working on now. It is a Forcible Entry truck built by Landoll Corp. I call it "The Rescue Truck". I have installed an NOS rear axle for the A2 CUCV trucks so I could install a standard truck bed to allow me to carry a cab over camper. I liked the idea of having the locker out back.

Attachments

dilvoy

I have some detail fotos of the utility body at work, so I'll add them tomorrow. It is built of heavy gauge aluminum throughout and has two slide outs, also aluminum. One had a small gasoline powered 115v generator, to power the scene lights, cold weather coolant heater/fluid pump and the 115v outlets in the engine compartment, which powered the hot plates and blankets to warm the batteries. The other would slide to either side and was full width of the body. The front bumper had a winch installed at some time and had a very crude looking extension to extend the bumper forward. The winch wiring is still dangling below the radiator. This truck had three bucket seats, two in front and one at the right rear, which was designed with a space in the back pad to allow a person sit there while wearing an oxygen tank on his back. The left rear seat area had an aluminum rack for oxygen tanks. The controller for the overhead lights was removed before I got the truck, darn!

dilvoy

sort of like a CUCV

Here is a shot of the utility body. The engine is not a 6.2. It is a 454. It is a carburerated engine and it has no catalitic converters either. I thought that this was wierd for an '88 model year, but it's like that for the heavy trucks of that year. I haven't started it yet, as the carb is missing, but I'll slap on an old Rochester carb that I have as the manifold has the same carb pattern. It should run well enough for testing. Does anyone know about the tubular header style exhaust manifolds/headers that is on this truck? Would they come on an engine that might have four bolt main bearing caps?

NEIOWA

dilvoy said:
This truck had three bucket seats, two in front and one at the right rear, which was designed with a space in the back pad to allow a person sit there while wearing an oxygen tank on his back. The left rear seat area had an aluminum rack for oxygen tanks.
SCBA seat in the rear. NOT oxygen tanks. FF SCBA (Self Contained Breathing Appartus) are compressed air not O2.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Cool truck. If the 454 ever craps out it would make a good truck for a cummins 5.9 swap. I had a buddy in Memphis who put one in his K30 welding truck. It is a little snug, but very doable. The torque and the MPG are very handy too :D

dilvoy

Although I was able to post a foto when I started this thread, I think my problem with adding a foto in reply to the thread is because the foto may be too large. These buttom pushing problems are tricky, so I'll have a friend come over and check it out for me.
Steelsoldiers, I have not really been fond of the 454, but have not hated it. I think it will be plenty powerfull. It's just that I still think of the Rat Roaster manifold that I had on a Hemi, many years ago and when I look under the hood of this truck, I see a Rat rotating on a Spit and not the engine. :shock: It may sound silly, but I haven't tried to fire up the engine yet. I know that I want to keep the truck even if it needs engine work or another engine so I just started at the back of the truck and am working my way forward. The Cummins conversion always interested me, but I think I would need a complete vehicle to have everything, including the wire harness, to run the electronic trans as well. I have 4.56 gears in this truck so the overdrive auto trans would be needed or I will have to add a gear vendors unit to the truck which is at least $2,500. Did the earlier Cummins engines come with equiped with a non electronic auto trans? I know that GM made a 4L80 trans for a while and I was thinking af possibly installing this trans behind the 454 or a 6.5 turbo engine.

gt1009

Nice truck, I like the fact that it was used for forced entry and you probably could still do that to anyone you had a grudge against.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks