• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

source for gearshift (stick)

doc76016

Friday the gearshifter (the stick) snapped on my M35a2. I was able to get it welded back together and I am now using it. However, I just know that it will break again when I am in a most inconvenient location. I spent several hours yesterday on the phone and online trying to locate a replacement to keep in the cab for this eventuality. No go. Does anyone here a source for an original replacement or a civilian equivalent? Is this a common part to break or am I just "lucky"?

TIA,
mdh

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was at Buddy Hammonds last week ( he used to own a military salvage yard but has scrapped everything). I tripped over one laying in the dirt. If I had known you needed one I would have sure picked it up.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The main problem is going to be finding a shifter without a trans attached to it. Maybe you could find someone with a bad trans but if someone has a good trans they're not going to sell the shifter off it.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had the same thing happen once. I ground it down and welded it.

doc76016

DavidB said:
Do you want strait or curved have both need address and will check shipping.
DavidB

Ziggy0 PM'd me last night that he had a NOS one. I replied back that I'd take it, but he hasn't responded. If it falls through I'll get in touch.

Thanks,
mdh

doc76016

doghead said:
I had the same thing happen once. I ground it down and welded it.

I did that. I'm afraid it will happen again, though. That's why I'm in the market for another. Funny how the "little" things can disable a vehicle or make it difficult to operate. I found out one time how hard it is to drive a car when the seat back fails.

mdh

doc76016

westfolk said:
I have some laying around........no tranny attached.
Thanks to the great community of folks here I believe that I will soon have a replacement. I do thoroughly appreciate the effort, though. Maybe I'll be able to reciprocate some time. Kharma and all that, you know...

mdh

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
doc76016 said:
Funny how the "little" things can disable a vehicle or make it difficult to operate. I found out one time how hard it is to drive a car when the seat back fails.
After reading this I had a picture in my mind of the shifter breaking and trying to shift gears to get home by the little nub sticking out of the top of the trans :lol: .

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
m16ty said:
doc76016 said:
Funny how the "little" things can disable a vehicle or make it difficult to operate. I found out one time how hard it is to drive a car when the seat back fails.
After reading this I had a picture in my mind of the shifter breaking and trying to shift gears to get home by the little nub sticking out of the top of the trans :lol: .
Here's how I made it home the day mine broke.

Attachments

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Short? I do the best with what I have! It's not the lenght of your shifter, it's how you grind 'er gears!

jim-m35a2

Did you use a right or left hand socket on that tranny stub. Would a Husky extension work? Would it be better to use a bent socket extension for the later Deuces and a straight socket extension for the earlier Deuces. I guess it don't matter one way or the other, as I don't own any of the above anyway.
________
MARIJUANA PICTURES

Last edited: