• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Source for M920 Parking Brake Valve

jamboly

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The parking brake valve (valve on dash with knob that turn on or releases tractor air brakes) on my M920 is leaking. Leak seem to be coming from valve and not the lines and fittings. Parts manual shows part number 1073 NSN 2530-01-082-7161. Valve is same as on M915, M916 & M918. As search for these part numbers has come up with nothing. Any ideas on alternate part number and source?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would pull it and take it to Houston Truck Parts on Wayside for them to match up. It's a commercial part, but not a current one.

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Will almost guess spool has a cut oring, those are rebuildable. If you want I can do a quick photo walk thru of the tear down of a brake control valve.

If you decide to replace, take the whole valve, (parts guy will thank you), just make sure to take pictures, mark lines on what port what hose goes on.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
The parking brake valve (valve on dash with knob that turn on or releases tractor air brakes) on my M920 is leaking. Leak seem to be coming from valve and not the lines and fittings. Parts manual shows part number 1073 NSN 2530-01-082-7161. Valve is same as on M915, M916 & M918. As search for these part numbers has come up with nothing. Any ideas on alternate part number and source?
The nsn crosses to a standard kn20021 brake control valve push/pull

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
KN2002206721Haldex Brake Products Corporation

jamboly

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks guys, I didn't expect this many replies so fast. After posting, I went to the barn (no internet) to continue taking parts of an M715 I recently acquired that I plan on restoring. I have comments for everyones replies, first one first:
NDT- Pulling it and taking it to Hou Trk parts was my plan B. As is, it is still useable, and I had added an air conditioning unit that sits right under the dash where the valve is, making access a pain.
155mm- O Ring is probably right thing to do and cheapest, if I can find a replacement O Ring. May be getting back with you on how to.
doghead- the part target url you gave me threw me off at first. I had found that to in my search but ignored it because only the last 7 digits of the NSN were the same. But looking down the list, the 1073 part number is there.
Simp5782- You said part number was KN 20021, it should be KN 20022, doghead posted.
Again, thanks to all of you for putting in the effort to help. I plan on going to Houston Truck Parts on Tues to see what they can come up with for a Haldex KN 20022. I will follow up with post if I find another part or if I have issues with it.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Thanks guys, I didn't expect this many replies so fast. After posting, I went to the barn (no internet) to continue taking parts of an M715 I recently acquired that I plan on restoring. I have comments for everyones replies, first one first:
NDT- Pulling it and taking it to Hou Trk parts was my plan B. As is, it is still useable, and I had added an air conditioning unit that sits right under the dash where the valve is, making access a pain.
155mm- O Ring is probably right thing to do and cheapest, if I can find a replacement O Ring. May be getting back with you on how to.
doghead- the part target url you gave me threw me off at first. I had found that to in my search but ignored it because only the last 7 digits of the NSN were the same. But looking down the list, the 1073 part number is there.
Simp5782- You said part number was KN 20021, it should be KN 20022, doghead posted.
Again, thanks to all of you for putting in the effort to help. I plan on going to Houston Truck Parts on Tues to see what they can come up with for a Haldex KN 20022. I will follow up with post if I find another part or if I have issues with it.
The nsn you have goes over to a #12403 which crosses to kn20021.

They are the same valve both share oem # 20960. Spec wise they are the same.

Actually kn20021 the knob says "system park"

Kn20022 says " parking brake"

Kn20022 is a not on hand part. 20021 is a stocked item

Last edited:

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When mine starting leaking last year, I removed it and went to a local truck parts supply house that I use regularly. Almost all of the replacements used 1/8" NPT threaded ports, where the stock one requires 1/4". We finally found one that matched up close enough and bought it, but didn't notate the part number (oops).

Just something to be aware of. It's easiest to remove the leaky one to match up to new ones, or rebuild the old one.

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Something I've wanted to do is change the parking brake valve setup on my M916 to a setup that will allow the trailer valve to be pushed in while the tractor valve is out. Both to allow charging of the trailer brakes while the tractor spring brakes are still engaged as well as to be able to hold the trailer brake valve in while engaging the tractor brakes.

I haven't looked into whether or not this is merely a valve change or is more involved than that. If I could change mine, maybe I'd have my 916 OEM valve for sale.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Something I've wanted to do is change the parking brake valve setup on my M916 to a setup that will allow the trailer valve to be pushed in while the tractor valve is out. Both to allow charging of the trailer brakes while the tractor spring brakes are still engaged as well as to be able to hold the trailer brake valve in while engaging the tractor brakes.

I haven't looked into whether or not this is merely a valve change or is more involved than that. If I could change mine, maybe I'd have my 916 OEM valve for sale.
Block the cross feed line off that the parking brake delivers to the trailer valve when open and T in and run a new supply to the trailer valve that is constant. More than likely right there off the parking supply

jamboly

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay, I finally got around to getting back to replacing the parking brake valve on the M920.
Short answer recommendation: Do what it takes to find a TramecSloan valve pn 401035. I could not find any truck parts stores in Houston that stock it and ended up ordering it from Finditparts.com for about $45 plus shipping. It is the exact form fit function to what was in the truck. (Note, it does not come with knob, but original knob fits it, or you can order a new yellow one pn 401710.)

There are other manufacturers part numbers that will cross reference to the Sloan 1073 as stated in some of the post on this thread. They can probably all be made to work, but you will end up scrounging up different fittings (most of them are 1/8" ports and original has 1/4" ports) and you will more than likely have to end up modify the copper tube that goes between this valve and the trailer park valve. There will also be a possible issue with the non original valves ports sitting closer to the back of the dash panel since the throats on all the ones I saw are shorter. I base this on actually seeing some of the cross referenced valves.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks