• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Source found for Commando chevron tires

Maple Leaf Eh

After viewing a Youtube of the Ontario Regiment Museum's XM706 open-top (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6QUxHSpUU4), I noticed it has chevron style tires. As most V100 operators know, the original tires are now 50yrs old and as consumables, more scarce than imaginable.

A message to the staff revealed theirs is on:

Mohawk Chief Run-Flat Military Tires, size 14.00-20, labelled as manufactured by the Mohawk Rubber Company of Akron, Ohio. The reply included the slightly less hopeful realization that Mohawk merged with the Yokohama Rubber Company of Fullerton, California and Tokyo, Japan in 1992. (Unhappy face)

But just then the Cold War Collection's head wrench cheerfully reported, oh this link is where you can find chevron tires that are advertised for the V100 Commando.
http://www.stausaonline.com/tires/commander/

(Smack forehead soundly) I didn't know. I just assumed the tires were unavailable. Peri
od. If you have knowledge of this company or these tires, please share your experiences.

Last edited:

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was in Woohoo!! mode until I saw the 14.5-21 bit on the size. :sad:

21" rims that fit V100s are certainly easier to get (pretty much anything is easier to get than original V100 rims), and would make a good alternate for running the vehicle. I know that a lot of later V150s are/were running 14.5s.

Cheers

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
Link says the weight for the 21" tire is 357#. The 20" V-100 wheel w/o ring is exactly 100#. The lock ring is 25#. Tube and flap- I dunno, but seems like the total wheel w/run flat is just under 500#. Times 4 means that one ton of the [V100] trucks ~7 ton weight is from its wheels, or about 14%. The early V-150 10x20" wheels weigh more than V-100 wheels. They are of similar design but have thicker steel, 5 hand holes instead of 6, and a wider flat area in the center for the big 5t brake drum/ 10 studs. They may be std 5 ton wheel centers welded on a std 10" wide V-100 wheel band. I don't know much about the 21 tires but someone I know suggested that Cadillac Gage made the change ro 21 so they could monopolize the business of replacement tires. FWIW I have 2 spare NOS 14.00x20 Mohawk run flats.

Last edited:

Rickv100

In the 1990's when I was doing research on the Commando I tracked the tire molds for the Commando Special to a company called Primex. I think the tire was called the Patriot at the time. They cost about $1200 each if I remember correctly.

I have a copy of the tire design document in my records that calls for testing the tires by drilling holes in the tire and driving for a certain distance.

Rick

Austringer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just finished painting a extra set of V100 rims and have modern 5 ton 14.00x20s mounted on them which I'll be switching out with the Mohawks i'm currently running on it. The Mohawk's have a date of 1974 if I remember correctly and look just like the commandos. For shows or other "special events, I'll bring the Mohawks out of storage. The Mohawks came new (zero miles) when I bought the V back in 2014 and show very little if any wear after close to 1500 miles of the beast.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm doing the same thing. I put the Commandos in storage, to be brought out if I ever do an MVPA convention or similar event with it, and am running regular 14.00s.
While the original tires were "new" when I got them, as in zero miles, I don't want to risk running tires that old on the V.
One reason is risking damage to the V, the second, and bigger, reason is the risk of having 7 tons of V hit someones car if I lost a tire at speed. Just don't know how a 30+ year old armoured tire will react at 55mph, and I'm not willing to find out!

Cheers

CptRaymond

Can you tell me who produced the original tires for the Commando? And if possible does anyone have a spec sheet for it? I am building a 1/16th scale model of the V100 and may have the tires produced by shapeways. Thanks in advance.

CptRaymond

Rory:

Please provide what info you have on the tire. It is very difficult finding anything on this. I've seen a number of pictures, etc. but no diagrams, specs, or so on. As I go forward with the build, I'll start a new thread.

Thanks,
Loren

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks