• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Sourcing a complete engine wiring harness '86 M1008

DarkSeas

Hey guys,
Got under the hood today dealing with my starter problem... for any of y'all following the start of my struggles, the second starter bolt was snapped off.

Anyway, I finally got it in the garage and got a good look at it. I found a lot of melted wiring, hot wires stripped down to bare wire, wires hanging by a thread that probably don't even work anymore. Pretty sure he's still putting 24V off one of the alternators burning everything up at the bus bar. A lot of redneck engineering was done to convert the old girl from 24V to 12V: wires are cut and missing in some spots, it's really not great.

I want a good shot at putting this truck back right, and setting it back to 24V. I talked to my friends who were looking at it with me and are helping me with my project, after about an hour of trying to start tracing wires with the wiring diagrams, we think the best and easiest way would be to take the rats nest of wiring out of the engine bay and put a new harness in. Rewire it from scratch.

Anybody know where I could find a reliable wiring harness? I saw one on HillbillyWizard for like 200 bucks (correction, $299), has anybody had luck with them? Ebay? Any of y'all have some spare ones lying around from part-out trucks?

I appreciate it.

Last edited:

cucvrus

I wouldn't sell one for $200. so I would get the one John has. I just know how hard they are to find complete and unhacked I still have a few friends and businesses that have CUCV's. I could hardly even begin to diagnose and repair a hacked engine wiring harness on any vehicle for $200. That seems like a steal. Good Luck. But if you are going to cut and modify it anyway, you may as well keep and use the wiring harness you have. If you get in a bit I have harnesses to cut sections from. Take Care.

DarkSeas

I wouldn't sell one for $200. so I would get the one John has. I just know how hard they are to find complete and unhacked I still have a few friends and businesses that have CUCV's. I could hardly even begin to diagnose and repair a hacked engine wiring harness on any vehicle for $200. That seems like a steal. Good Luck. But if you are going to cut and modify it anyway, you may as well keep and use the wiring harness you have. If you get in a bit I have harnesses to cut sections from. Take Care.
I'm gonna assume John is the guy who runs the HillbillyWizard site? You think I should try it? I agree, if I got the truck towed to a shop to take a look at and fix the wiring they'd probably charge me a couple grand haha

Edit: the harness is $299 I just looked again, still seems like a really good deal. Just didn't know if I could trust the site

DarkSeas

We appreciate the mention. Yes, we have the used harness. We do go through them an make sure they are good to go. It's not uncommon to make some professional repairs to a harness before sending it out because a perfect original is almost unheard of at this point. Here is the link for anyone asking:
CUCV Engine Wiring Harness - Hillbilly Wizard
I appreciate it - I'll be placing an order with you guys today. I know it won't be brand new, but refurbished in good condition, all in tact, is a LOT better starting point than where I'm at with it now.

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I appreciate it - I'll be placing an order with you guys today. I know it won't be brand new, but refurbished in good condition, all in tact, is a LOT better starting point than where I'm at with it now.
Buying from John isn't an if it's a when...can't go wrong though...300 for a harness is not bad if you can't fix the one you have! Take notice to the ends of your harness carefully once you get the new one and compare them...since things like glow plugs and temp sensors might not match up plug wise...might need to change some parts as well...might want to clarify that before you order so you can get everything at one time if possible...he'll know what to look for.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks