• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

South Carolina Aug 2 & 3: CANCELLED

rsh253

Men & Women of South Carolina! It's Time to Stand-Up & be Counted!
(And All Surrounding States too)
Please plan on attending all or part of this event!

I'm making arrangments for a convoy, off-roading, camping and museum event. Here's the present plan (subject to suggestions & input):

Aug. 2nd Sat. Meet for breakfast at 10:00 am at the Cracker Barrel located at Exit 102 off I-26 in Columbia, SC 29223

At 11:00 the Convoy leaves Columbia & drives appr. 74 mi. to Gulches Off Road Vehicle Park. The drive would be 1/2 freeway & 1/2 back-road. The trails at Gulches are wide enough for an H1, about 8 feet. Gulches will provide a scout to take us through the various courses for the 1st runs.

Costs for Gulches Off-roading: $25 per vehicle & driver+ $5. per add’n person + $10.00/camp spot. Sat there's a special night ride where the trails are open ‘til midnight.

Gulches will also have an optional BBQ lunch & dinner available for a nominal cost. I've spoken with Skip at Gulches and they sound very accomodating. They are reserving several adjacent camping spaces for us. Let me know by July 25th if you'd like a camping spot. There are also numerous motels nearby.

Aug 3rd Sun we'll convoy back to Columbia & visit the SC Military Museum. Folks can depart at their convenience.

You can plan on doing any or all of the above.

I've attached a link to a file with more details, maps, driving directions, etc.

Pls. contact me with any questions, comments, or "atta-boys"

-Russ

Attachments

J2H

RE: South Carolina Aug 2 & 3: Convoy, Off-roading, Campi

I will be in Iraq still, but there in Spirit!

rsh253

Folks,

With the cost of fuel, driving time, etc., I thought that some folks may not want to meet in Columbia first, but rather drive directly to Gulches and meet us there. I've attached maps with various starting points to Gulches, SC.

Here's what I've come up with:

Atlanta/Athens, GA to Gulches Approx.: 175/100 miles
South Charlotte to to Gulches Approx.: 120 miles
Spartanburg, SC,to to Gulches Approx.: 60 miles
Greenburg, SC,to to Gulches Approx.: 50 miles
Ashville, NC to to Gulches Approx.: 120 miles

-Russ

Attachments

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
It is tough to get a rally started. The first year we did a rally in Georgia, we only had a few participants. And in the last 2 years, we have had so many rallies added to the schedule and the retarded raise in energy costs, I suspect it's putting the damper on a lot of folk's travel plans.

If iyou decide to try to put it on next year, let me know and I will help you any way I can.

rsh253

Clinto,

Thanks for the offer. I'll probably try again next year. I'd read where several folks had wanted to see some type of event in SC, so I thought I'd give it a shot.

Regards, Russ

jwaller

it's too bad. the local Columbia gang was planning on attending the museum with about 10 vehicles including the halftrack.

rsh253

John,

Hopefully you guys can still go to the museum. If so, pls. let me know and I'll meet you there.

Adam,

I know what a ferroequinologist is! I are one too! I've always lived on the West Coast & have just moved to Charlotte from Seattle. Last year I got to see the SP 4449 & UP 844 double head. WOW, was that something to see!! I'm just sorry that I didn't get to see the NS 4-8-4 and Y6B 2-8-8-2 before they shut their operation down.

I hope I did not pull the plug on this event too early; but if you go through the thread you'd see that I did not get any feedback that anyone was going to come or even try to come. I need to let the folks at Gulches know and also know for myself.

I'll try this event again but with much more notice.

-uss