• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

south wind heater in a m-35a2

OD in my veins

I saw a heater for sale today. It was a southwind model 978-m 24 volt unit. I've done a little research and It seems like it was mounted in a number of different vehicle. Kinda looked like a universal unit.
Just looking for a little info.
Do these work well?
I know it predates the m-35a2, but has anyone used one of these for cab heat in a deuce?
Well Its snowing here and my daughter needs to go to the dentist. Warm ride in the 300 td benz wagon or cold safe ride in the deuce with no heat? Put an extra jacket on and stop breathing on the windshield..

eagle4g63

As said, gas.....HOWEVER don't let that stop you. I have the diesel version, but run my truck on waste motor oil. SOOOO???? you might ask, well what I did was run an auxiliary tank for the heater, can be anything that can hold the fuel....my first one was only 2 gallons and it would run my heater for about a week, running the truck as my daily driver....now I have it run to the jerry can on the drivers step so 5 gallons....lasts just about 3 weeks.

So you can use the gas one if you can get it cheap, go for it and just use a separate tank to run it on.

OH yea, I forgot.....it works AMAZING I love the heat you get within 5 minutes.

OD in my veins

Thanks for the input. And eagle that is a good idea with the jerry can seeing as I also have that can holder on my drivers step that I just trip over.
As for safty of the unit that is a concern for sure. I do have a battery operated carbon monoxide detector and now that u mentioned it I can run it in the truck.and I always carry a fire extinguisher.
I wasnt even thinking of the benefits of not waiting for the truck to heat up to get heat that is awsome.
This unit looks fairly complete and is $200 or bro. I think i might do it.

eagle4g63

I don't think gasoline heaters are safe when they are 50's and 60's surplus.
Why don't you think they are safe, mine was a surplus set up....all dated 1969.....the thing has served me well for the last 3 years.

Also OD, if you have any questions on hooking it up or need pics of anything give me a PM. More than happy to help you out.

gerrykan

You may want to use premium gasoline without ethanol if available in your area.
The unit may have seals or O-rings that are not compatible with todays fuel blends.

OD in my veins

Does anyone know if this unit requires pressurized fuel (ie a fuel pump) or if it draws of a fuel supply line?
I talked to gent that is selling the heater and he think it needs a small pump in line but said he has know 1st hand knowledge of that.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does anyone know if this unit requires pressurized fuel (ie a fuel pump) or if it draws of a fuel supply line?
I talked to gent that is selling the heater and he think it needs a small pump in line but said he has know 1st hand knowledge of that.
Yes it requires an electric fuel pump. Facet type.

Last edited: