• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Spare frame to lift an M35

sickmoparfreak

So, we wound up with a spare M-35 frame at my shop. I'd been looking at various ways to bob, and lift my M35 to run a M105 trailer bed and 16x20's. We thought it would work to stack the frames if they were attached properly. I didn't want to weld them together anywhere, as its need to flex under a load would start a road map of cracks. Bolting with grade 8 hardware was the way to go. I didnt want to grind away the brads at the meeting flanges, so we made plate shims that would allow for them to remain intact and strong.
I could move my front axle forward a little without having to re-drill all the front mounts also, and gain a lil fender clearance under full-flex. We decided to leave the rear cross-members in place for strength. The plates that attach the walking beams to the frame could now overlap the lower frame and be re-drilled for a great attachment point. After a lil plasma cutting, and a bunch of mag press drilling, she is up and running.
The steering will remain manual with power assist. We moved the stock steering box to the lower frame, and retained all factory geometry except for cutting the steering shaft, and adding 2 knuckles to reach the new box location......and its really not bad with 53's (if your rollin) The next step will be adding my char-lyn valve, pump and cylinder. Plating the front of the lower frame is last after all steering mods are done.....Just leaving a lil more room to work.
I did have to re-position my master cylinder with a couple of brackets to make room for the chassis that was coming. As far as drive shafts, Carolina drive line was great. Rather than go with an expensive double CV joint shaft, we decided to go with offset joints, and locking hubs. (on order)I plan on a detroit locker soon, and was going to need them anyway. Out back, I made some 3/4 pinion shims to correct the rear angle, and it feels great at speed with no CV in the rear shaft.
The 53's do load the turbo well, and it actually feels a LOT quicker at take off, The multi-fuel is un-tweaked. Not sure about fuel milage yet, but I have plenty of power so far.
I had already started making my wheels by plasma cutting the centers out of HEMMT wheels, and tig welding my deuce bud centers back in, when I saw those nice adapter plates being produced.......Oh well, I just finished what I started. Not as pretty as the others, but they roll really slick, and I can still install the plates at will.
To say I'm lovin it is an understatement. With my narrow stance, parking is a breeze, and my turning radius is better than expected......

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks