• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Spare parts every GMC owner should have

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I figured I should start a thread detailing what we think an owner of a G749 should have stashed in an ammo can for future repairs. These trucks are getting old and parts are getting harder to find. Obviously, a salvage yard full of good trucks and 2 retired mechanics that work for free is the best answer, but not a reality for most of us.

I'm talking about what would you buy if you had a couple hundred bucks just to spend on spare parts?

What parts do you suspect won't be available in a few years?

If you saw a truck heading for the crusher in the morning, what would you take if you had a few minutes and a few tools?

Dan

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have been trying to aquire brake parts and an extra transmission.

I found a truck that was heading to the scrap yard. The axles were taken for a mud bogger or puller. The guy let me drive the truck before he torched it. I was able to buy the transmission for $100. It has a REB kit.
I got the air pack thrown in too.

Also purchased:
New master cyl $78
10 wheel cylinders $15ea=$150
Rebuild kit for the airpack. $100

I look back at my struggles on my trucks and have to say, the biggest hurdle was the brakes. I picked up the red M211 for $1200. Then realized I could easily spend more than that on the brake restoration. Local parts stores were telling me $55 per wheel cylinder and $170 for a master. A rebuilt air pack was close to $450.

My biggest fear is the transmission going out some day.

Last edited:

dabtl

I pulled an air pack, found it cracked. Fortunately, I have two more. I am working on winch drive line parts now. I have reproduced the bearing mount. I am looking for a shield to replicate.

Brake parts are around, just have to be patient.

butch atkins

Tranny parts,I was told by "Red",the guy who rebuilt Hydramatics for Memphis Equipment before he retired,that the fiber and steel clutch discs in the tranny would be the hardest parts to find and to save everyone that I could.Healso told me that 90% of tranny problems were worn out discs,didn't matter how much oil pres.trany had if the discs were worn out ,tranny won't work,in the reduction unit it is the accumulator assy. That goes bad,no low range. I still have a large inventory of NOS,NIB ,internal tranny parts,pumps,gears ,shafts tourus assy,flywheel,etc etc.with some spares for sale. I am still in Germany with no acces to any of my manuals or I would post some part#s. ANY FUEL TANK,PUMP parts that can be saved,any winch related parts,double drive PTO unit,dump truck parts .STOP! My OCD is starting to cut in ,wife says I am a hoarder . As for myself ,if I see any trucks/parts ,I stop ,look,and buy if possible,even buy off of E bay! Not much left ,so get it while you can.Good luck on all your projects!

M215

I recently sold my M221 to another SS member, but still have the M215. I try to purchase spare parts when ever available.
Over the years I have been able to purchase
Spare engine
1 & 1/2 trannys
Radiator
Driveline parts, shafts, u - joints
Steering gear
Brake parts, several air-paks, rebuild kits, brake shoes, wheel & master cylinders.
Carbs, rebuild kits, have 2-3 carter in tank fuel pumps.
Complete spare exhaust system
Complete extra wiring harness
Gaskets / seals
Even picked up a spare hydro pump / control mechanism for the M215 dump bed.

Must have spares for every GMC owner
Tranny or parts
Brake parts
Fuel pump
Exhaust manifold
Wiring harness

Gunfreak25

By and far the BEST thing you can stock up on is KNOWLEDGE and notes taken from talking with the past generation who wrenched on these vehicles. These old timers are getting harder to find, passing away or retiring and with them goes all the little trick's of the trade. The more we can gather and put on the forums, the longer these GMC's will be around and the better the chance of them being in good enough shape for other folks to enjoy and take on. The prospect of rebuilding Hydramatic's or Tcases is an intimidating one for most of us, having some tips from those who have been in a few of them makes it a lot less scary. If you have a clean place to work, spare parts and time on your hands it's amazing what you can do yourself.

Most items on the GMC's have modern replacement part numbers. I would agree that Hydramatic and brake parts are the #1 items to stock up on. If you can't rebuild or replace your Hydramatic due to parts availability 30 years from now, your left with an entire drivetrain swap as your best bet on keeping her moving. Which isn't always desirable for many of us.

Last edited:

135gmc

Track down a clean paper copy of all the manuals - general, drivetrain, engine, transmission, etc, then download the electronic versions from the internet. Keep your eyes open for metal (Douglas) connector gauges. Try to find some spare side windows and windshields - they rust out with time. Look for transmission parts (as said above). If you find a spare carb and a spare distributor at a decent price, buy them. If you see a good exhaust manifold, buy it (the manifolds can crack, and new ones don't exist anymore), a radiator if the price is right, spare doors (if the price is right), a spare NOS wiring harness ( they're out there, and they pop up every once in a while). Look for a spare speedometer cable. If you ever find a new muffler or exhaust parts, buy them - they don't exist anymore, and most collectors have to make a substitute.

Brake parts are more common - today. The Canadians ran these trucks longer than the US Army did, so new brake parts are still floating around. Buy what you can find that's at the right price.

If you want to keep it original, look for the in-tank fuel pump and pump strainer plates. If you find NOS canvas or seat covers, be very careful - I once bought a new cab top that had shrunk about 2" in the box.

Think about tracking down the wire and connectors to make a wiring harness - even if you can buy a new harness, there are still a bucket fulll of little pieces that you will need that are never included with a new harness. If you pick up a junkyard harness, you can use this as a pattern to make your own.

Whenever you find a GMC in a scrap yard, stop and look - you might find a part you suddenly realized might be important down the road.

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ahhhhh yes, the fuel pump. How could I forget that miserable thing. aua

Add a rust free tank as long as we are at it.

I think there is a source for aftermarket civy exhaust manifolds. I believe I have one, but it is a little different where the pipe hooks up. One has a flat surface and the other has the bevel for the doughnut.

Dan

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I'm running out of room. The cobbled truck is getting scrapped. I'd find room, but someone cut the frame and welded an extension in it. They also put the wrong rear axle in it. The truck has 2 different gear ratios, so they pulled the front driveshaft. I figured that out when I put the driveshaft back in.

I'm keeping the winch and PTO, transmission, Brake everything, Radiator, TITLE, heater, Distributor, wires, manifolds, and whatever else I think I may need some day. Suppose I will keep the rear springs for a bobber someday. I have a M105 trailer that will serve as my warehouse. If it won't fit inside, It goes. My goal is to keep everything that I may need for my next truck and rebuild or clean up the good parts this winter.

The rest is going to scrap this weekend.

Attachments

Last edited:

nattieleather

It seems like we have a two part question. First question is what would you carry with you in the way of spare parts and the other is what would you pull from a truck before it was scrapped. So here are my thought from when I was a M211 owner.

Part in the ammo can I would keep a spare set of points, rotor, distributor cap, exhaust manifold gasket, Wheel Cylinder, pipe caps to cut off the air supply, fan belts, and upper/lower radiator hoses.

Parts I would pull if I had a few tools and just a little time. All these would depend on condition. Fuel pump or whole gas tank, Air-pack, Hood, gauges, seats, top, air compressor, Carb, water pump, windshield, transmission if possible, transfercase if possible.

Basically I would strip as much off the truck as I could.

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I never considered the transfer case. Have you ever known anyone who had a bad one?

I have some big medical cans that are getting packed with parts, other side of trailer will probably store the transmission and front axle, and spring packs. I also have to get 39" of frame rails in there for my 4 door project.

We all know that when I need a part it will be the first part packed in the furthest ammo can!

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We all know that when I need a part it will be the first part packed in the furthest ammo can!
I have a bad transfer case and now I know where to find one. At the bottom of your ammo can.

I can't add much to the list because these guys are amazing. I like pictures so if people find this stuff laying around their yard, they know what it is.

One day I'll get a Currently Listed Items Manufactured and Available X (CLIMAX) cross reference sheet for the G749 and make it easier for the next 20 builds. The Parts that are no longer manufactured are the ones I'll hoard the most......and hope the hoarders let us know when they are ready to PUT THE PARTS TO WORK.

Some of the NOS packages are still available but if we can find more ............... I will sure be happy when Germany gives Butch back to us.:smile:

SEALS and GASKETS

Levy Parts book has the G749 broken into 38 categories and they all need seals, except the seats. When re-building the most important components, brakes, steering, axles, "Steering Wheel", Air system (air compressor governor, Air Power Cylinder, Air Compressor).... it's nice to have access to NOS kits that aren't shrunk or dried up.

RIMS / WHEELS

They wear out and each time you swap rubbers, tolerance for wear should be checked by an expert so you don't die inflating them.

Parking Brake Drum Assembly......Levy Part 7411357. This item is known for "catastrophic failure". Inspect often, replace when signs of over-heating or cracking are present.

Air-pak, Hood, Hard Top, Boxes, Tailgates, Good Mirrors,

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks