• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Spare Tire Carrier problem/solution

aboonski

Ever since I have owned my deuce I have been afraid to mess with my spare tire carrier. I have heard some safety concerns about improper lowering techniques and the possibility of serious injury of doing the job wrong. After considerable thought I decided to fabricate a crude tool that would assist me, for the very first time, to actually lower the spare tire to the ground and raise it back into place again. Here's a link to the short Youtube video on the accomplishment:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atYOye_gpC8[/media]

dittle

For lowering the tire do this:

1. Pull the cable up tight and lock it with the dog leg
2. Loosen the nuts holding the bracket into the hold
3. Free up cable by unlocking the dog leg and take your sockets/wrenches off the shaft end
4. Spin the tire around on the nuts either by hand or by kicking until the nuts fall through the hoes of the mount.
5. Tire is free to remove

This is how I do it all the time and this is how I was showed by some AMSA mechanics that I know.

dirtyfingernails

Alan,
Nice idea. I guess I'm a moron because I almost broke my arm lowering a duece tire when the 1/2 inch ratchet I was using got away from me! I guess you shouldn't admit stuff like that!

aboonski

That's a great idea for raising the tire but lowering is a different ball game I was thinking about being somewhere in the middle of nowhere and having to repair a flat. I also thought about going one step further and putting a disk brake on the spindle to get even better control of the tire winch. With an air impact gun, once you release the trigger the socket will turn freely in the impact tool and you lose the ability to slow or stop the descent of the tire (did I spell that word wrong?). This tool stores easily in the bin below the driver's side of the truck and definitely has other uses as well for those of you who do not have an impact tool to remove the lugs from your deuce (once you break them free that is!). It cost me absolutely nothing to make this thing which is perhaps the best part of this application.

aboonski

Hey there dirtyfingernails, that's why I made this thing! I have actually seen injuries from doing this the wrong way dueing my 21 years of being a medic in the AF. The other member has a point and I'll bet that's the correct way to use the tire carrier.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
wreckerman893 said:
The original design was intended to remove slow people from the gene pool
wreckerman never fails to have insightful information for us all!!!!

aboonski

Wreckerman, that's ingenius! You are right though - way too slow. The other way of doing it is like landing an F-4 which has been called "a controlled crash". My latching mechanism (dog leg) is questionable and releases for some reason - probably grease in the teeth. I already have one member that wants me to make him one of these but I don't have any more of the wheels. The next one I make will probably be from one of those aftermarket steering wheels or from one of my surplus '66 Buick Skylark steering wheels.

aboonski

2Deuces wild, that is really a great modification for the trailer! I'll be contacting a guy named Matt for an extra M35 spare tire carrier shortly for my trailers. Eventually we may sell here in Florida and move to our property in McArthur CA and driving that distance requires additional spare tires for sure! Looks like your trailer has been well taken care of judging by the photos. Great post!

toddm

Great idea with the wheel to lower the spare, I could see where it could break something important. I just lowered my tire today to check the cable, it was rusted bad and ready to break. I measured it and it's 72" long, so I bought a piece of .250" stainless cable and now no one should ever have to worry about it breaking.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks