• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

spare tire mount m1009 question

sam obispo

I am trying to figure out how to secure the spare tire to the mount in the back of my M1009 CUCV.

I have consulted the manual, and I have the proper rack as shown on page 149 of the Technical Bulletin. However, the rack that came with my vehicle has a foot long threaded bolt/screw very solidly mounted in the rack. The vehicle also came with the proper mounting disk assembly, that looks like this:

cucv spare bracket.jpg

However, my disk is too small for the hole in the middle of the rim. If I assemble these parts, I will not get a secure grip on the spare.

What am I doing wrong?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Aftermarket wheels usually have a larger center hole. You will likely need to fabricate a center disc to fit

cucvrus

Just make a center out of something. It should be real easy to make a larger center. Cut a piece of steel out with the appropriate sized hole saw grind and sand the edges drill out the center hole and you are golden.

sam obispo

I went to a local tire, one-man tire shop. He had a customer ahead of me, but suggested that I hit the Tractor Supply Center for some steel. I went, and looked at some pieces of stock steel, but they could not cut them, and their holes would not fit the 7/16 bolt. I saw some fence latches that had pieces I could use, but after I checked out, I saw a display for wheels, the kind you would use on lawn mowers, wheel barrels, or soap box racers. Hmmm, something circular, with a metal hub and rubber trimming, with a hole that would fit he main bolt? This might work. I checked the bolt hole, and got a 6 inch and a 7 inch. I figured that putting one of these between the disk and the tire would eliminate play with the non-GI rim.

I went back to the tire shop. He put the new tire on the fancy rim, and put the old tire on the spare tire rim. That was when we realized that the commercial rim holes were not GI spec, but the spare tire rim was. And that the GI rim would stay in place with the USGI bracket. So, I returned the wheels to TSC.