• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Spare Tire Net Pattern

aleigh

Since I got my LMTV I've wanted the proper spare tire restraint net. I'd wanted to make one, but I could never find good information about it online. On a certain popular auction site I've seen things for sale as FMTV/LMTV tire straps which are very much not the right thing. Well as luck would have it someone gave me one the other day - thank you someone - so I decided to measure it out, hopefully to others fortune.

It should be a trivial matter for anyone who can sew webbing to put one of these together, or PM me.

Hook ID: 1"
Major strap width: 2"
Minor strap width: 1"
Load ring 3" ID 3 3/4" OD

A Length: 33" (from inside of load ring to end of strap)
B Length: 47"
C Length: 24" (from outside strap to outside strap)
D Length: 17 1/2" (from inside of load ring to far ID of hook)

C strap is located 20 1/2" along the B strap from the inside of the load ring connected to the D strap. It is not in the middle!!

These lengths do not include the length folded back over the strap - so add as much as you want for that. The OE straps have 1" boxes with a row of stitching on the left and right of the box (along the length of the strap).

_MG_0035-Edit.jpg

Last edited:

DiverDarrell

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you for this. Mine is missing and looking online I was like hey I can make this myself. Heck I even know how to sew. I even have a bunch of hard wear to make some quick release

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Oh, that's what that box of 100 things I have is. I was about to throw them in the trash. Couldn't figure them out.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh, that's what that box of 100 things I have is. I was about to throw them in the trash.

Couldn't figure them out.
For those of us that can't sew, can you please sell them in the classifieds? Thank you.

aleigh

For what it's worth for next time, the rings are valuable and somewhat annoying to source - rings rated for rigging run $15 to $20 ea in that size. That's the most expensive part of the project, the strap is worthless. The load hooks are pretty easy to come by, US Cargo, et al. sell them all day long. So I don't think I could make a strap from new components for less than fifty bucks.

coachgeo

From what you described... the box pattern they sewed in is either a Seatbelt stitch or **** close. Seatbelt stitch is considered they strongest/highest longevity. Thus why they use it w/seatbelts.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, since CARNAC's "all knowing" skillset seems to have a glitch, what type business can do this web sewing? Upholstery shop? I have long ago ordered the web material from McMaster Carr, just stuck on how to get it sewn up. Mine was cut up for unknown reasons.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, since CARNAC's "all knowing" skillset seems to have a glitch, what type business can do this web sewing? Upholstery shop? I have long ago ordered the web material from McMaster Carr, just stuck on how to get it sewn up. Mine was cut up for unknown reasons.
Someone that does boat tops should have the heavy duty machine to do it.

coachgeo

Upholstery shops come in two flavors... some shops do a mix of both others specialize in one or the other. (Furniture Upholstering and/or Auto Upholstery Sewing. (seats, Convertable tops etc.) ) You want the Auto. Consider asking at a large truck stop about who they know that does repairs on Big Rig Covers. Another route is call around to see who does Boat Bimini Top repair, Canvas Awnings etc. Both of these types are usually listed in yellow pages as Auto Upholstery though)

update....... Looks like Mkcoen and I were on same wave lenght and typing at the same time.

DiverDarrell

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A sail shop can also do it. Ideally one would use what's called a walking foot sewing machine. But a good quality sewing machine should be able to do two layers of strap. I know this from making some custom tactical gear

aleigh

Never heard about a seatbelt stitch but a box stitch is real common in rigging. Yes if done properly it is very strong. Pretty much the go-to for this information is the FAA riggers guide, at least as far as I know, regardless of what you are actually doing. That's where I learned.

Diver PM me that amzn link? Or share it here? I looked earlier but you must have had better search terms.