• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Spare Tire Recovery?

Gunner0311

Okay you guys, now that I have a M52A2 I have a serious question. This has not become a problem yet, but it easily could become one.

Question: If a get a flat tire I can get the spare tire off the rack and onto the ground okay. Jack the truck with my air/hydraulic jack. Use the gladhand air to
power my 3/4 inch impact wrench to remove/replace the lug nuts and get rolling
again...

But how do I get the flat tire back up onto the truck???

With assistance the tire and wheel is way too heavy to lift on my own, so I have
been contemplating some sort of swing-out arm with a winch to lift the flat tire up
into the rack so I can drive off w/o leaving it lying on the side of the road....

What options have you used in this situation?:?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My plan is to bring a tire hammer and dismount the tire from the wheel. I can lift the wheel and tire up by themselves.

91W350

A come a long and a 4x4 post. Run the 4x4 through the center of the wheel and up into the bed. Use the come a long to get the weight up the 4x4. The board will keep the tire from plowing and catching. I use the 4x4 to load deuce wheels. 1100s and larger are too heavy to flip into the box. Glen

Scrounger

I’ll give you a couple of scenarios and what my plans are.
Besides carrying the usual jack, wrenches and what not, I always have a sledge hammer, wedges, ring tool, pry bar and a spare tube.
If I’m pulling a trailer with 11:00 X20s it makes life “easy”.
If I get a single flat on a drive axle on the tractor or the trailer I usually just run with it till I get someplace where it can be worked on easier., and usually you won’t notice one of them flat until you stop anyway. I’ll keep an eye on it just to make sure it doesn’t throw the bead.
Steer axle obviously has to be fixed. If you are pulling say a M127 or a M129 just use the spare from the trailer and use the tire carrier to lift the bad tire up.
If you are bobtailing swap a rear for the front and you won’t have to mess with the spare, see above about running flat on rear.
If you want you can fix the tire by breaking it down and replacing/ patching tube, the tires usually are ok. I recommend still swapping tire to rear in that case because it is safer to inflate a tire on the rear. The ring is between the tires and won’t go anywhere if it were to come off.

Last edited:

DAS

here's a tip for all tube tires.....carry a piece of wire to tie the valve stem to the rim so it don't get sucked into the tire and eat the tube up...that way you can patch the tube and use it again.......not on the steering.....old time tube-tire man....DAS

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This should be in the deuce forum since you are talking about an M35A2 and not a larger truck.

The answer is simple. You simply crank the flat tire/wheel back up into the rack that held the spare you cranked down. There is no need to try to get the wheel up into the bed of the truck. Don't try using your air wrench for this. You need to have a deuce lug wrench to crank it back up. And be careful that the latching mechanism is actually latching good. Sometimes layers of paint and/or rust will clog the teeth of the latch and the wheel will fall, potentially throwing the lug wrench at you.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
This should be in the deuce forum since you are talking about an M35A2 and not a larger truck.

The answer is simple. You simply crank the flat tire/wheel back up into the rack that held the spare you cranked down. There is no need to try to get the wheel up into the bed of the truck. Don't try using your air wrench for this. You need to have a deuce lug wrench to crank it back up. And be careful that the latching mechanism is actually latching good. Sometimes layers of paint and/or rust will clog the teeth of the latch and the wheel will fall, potentially throwing the lug wrench at you.

What is an M52? I think this is the right forum.

indy4x4fab

Banned

An m52 is a five ton truck, [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JP2-4mOKgM[/media]

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What i have done in the past is. Stand the flat up. Roll it to the middle of the two rear tires then roll it up on top of the rear tires. Then twist the tire tward the cab and roll it up onto the deck plate. then twist back and forth untill you get back into the holder. This is NOT EASY. Also depending on the trailer, you will have to drop the trailer because it will be right in the way. This procedure sucks but does work for me.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Friction builds heat.....If you run a tube type tire underinflated or flat you run the risk of setting it on fire. I used to see this a lot when I was driving back in the 70's and most tires had tubes.

If a tube type tire is flat or leaking profusely you need to change it immediatly or risk your truck burning to the ground on the side of the road. One small fire extingusher will not put out a tire fire (ask me how I know).

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As mentioned earlier too, tying the valve stem with wire, will just leave you with a valve stem, tied to a wire. It will pull the stem off, in short order. About that same time, your tire is ruiened too. If your the one paying for the tires, you'll change it.

Gunner0311

4x4 sections

This weekend I am going to experiment using two eight foot long 4x4 sections and
try using a come-along and a small hand-crank winch to drag a wheel/tire from the
ground up into the 5-Ton cargo bed.

Has anyone ever weighed an 1100x20 tire mounted on a stock steel rim?

In my younger years I would have been macho enough to attempt lifting one by
myself. Have been injured in enough fires, fights, logging and working on various
other heavy jobs to now make every attempt to avoid further visits to the
Emergency Room.auaaua

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I have a cut down railroad ties. 1 is a single tie cut down for just like a block. and I have 2 the same length as the single bolted together on top of one another. I put the double block just next to the tool box and the single just out from it. and walk the tire up over the blocks and onto the side toolbox and then onto the back of the truck. Momentum is your friend. just dont let it fall on you. I loaded 3 14.00 XLs with FMV wheels onto the back of my 5 ton using that. It is just like using steps.

You could even do 3 blocks bolted together if you wanted it higher to the box. The blocks also come in handy for the jacks and wheel chalks.

11.00s ndccs on rims i think are 175-200?

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks