• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Sparks and Smoke from above steering wheel, now no "Wait" or "Brake" Indicator

dherman304

Well, finally got all of the chores done on HMMWV went to take it for a test drive and accidentally ran over my hi-lift jack, I put it in drive to move over the jack but I heard sparks and looked forward to see sparks and smoke coming from somewhere behind the "dash" (seemed to be coming from above and a little left of the steering column). I turned the truck off waited of the smoke to clear and tried to start it to find no "Wait" or "Brake" indicator working, and it didnt try to turn over. All other lights seem to work in the truck (gauge cluster etc.)

I took everthing off the dash and cant find any obvious signs of a short. I have +24v coming into and leaving the ignition. I checked the 14B wire going into the Smart Box and it has continutity with the ignition wire (when in nuetral).

There could be damage inside the box but that doesnt explain why I saw sparks behind the dash. If it was from the smart box I would have expected the sparks to be more in the footwell.

I know troubleshooting electrical problems is nearly impossible over the internet but Im hoping that someone knows about a wire or somewthing in that area I cant see that could be causing this issue.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you removed and inspected the inside EESS box connector and wire connections? make sure to disconnect the batteries first.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you have run power to the inst. through CB2 then the wire #29C should be hot to the EESS box which should give you a wait light.
You can jump S and T at the diag port just to see if the starter activates.
If you cannot find any other sign of burnt wires etc. you may need to remove the strain relief from the body connector to see if there is any wire to connector problems

Attachments

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Under the dash, just above the steering wheel shaft is a bundle of wires. On my rig that bundle was too close to the steering wheel shaft, it chafed and welded itself to the steering shaft when I was making corner. But if it hadn't done that and then broken there would have been a LOT of heat and maybe smoke. Check your wiring harness for breaks, damager, melting, etc. (In my case, I had to redo the harness due to about 6 or so wires that were badly damaged from rubbing on the steering shaft.)

dherman304

If you have run power to the inst. through CB2 then the wire #29C should be hot to the EESS box which should give you a wait light.
You can jump S and T at the diag port just to see if the starter activates.
If you cannot find any other sign of burnt wires etc. you may need to remove the strain relief from the body connector to see if there is any wire to connector problems
Thank you so much for the better diagram. I cannot for the life of me find a STI/ICE pin diagram. Is it the same as the 4l80 diagnostic port layout?1723129862396.png

dherman304

This is what I found above the steering wheel shaft. All due to chafing.
You were exactly right! the steering knuckle was rubbing the main wire loom over the steering shaft. Not only did I find a random broken ground (Not part of the main ground harness) but I saw the webbing around the loom was broken. I used my video scope to get closer and bingo damaged wires and welded globs.
1723132151030.png
1723132159699.png
1723132179631.png

I am pretty sure that would be a no, can't you see the letters? Maybe someone has the pin out as I don't see one right off
I am an idiot, ha! I knew the letters would be small but I still didnt see them the first time. I see them now!

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
seems like all of those wires are hard to access. How did you get them so loose?
remove the gauge panel. Unbolt the steering wheel, steering wheel brackets, you can hang the brackets down and not have to disconnect the shaft. Then trace the wires unhook them and bring them out under the dash or out of the gauge cluster opening to work on it. Space really wasn’t bad in my case.

FlameRed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
@Mogman I got to ask if you also have a clear copy of the wiring diagram for the M998? I have never seen such a clear copy! That would be awesome!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks