• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Sparta, WI auctions + moving

Firehound

I have a Chevy civillian CUCV, 3 dogs, and a storage shed full of stuff to move from Wisconsin... I could dump $3 grand on a Uhaul rental... OR there are several M-35's and M109's on GOV liquidation in Sparta, WI....

evil thought: instead of spending the money on a truck I'm gonna turn in at the end of the trip, why not send the money and have a duce when I get home?

why not? because I've got no way to look at the truck before I buy it (can anyone help me out here?), and I'm worried if I break down in Nowhere, Montana with 3 dogs, where will I get parts without buying a warehouse first?

Talk me into it here guys!

Last edited:

gunboy1656

Well first how much time do you need to have the stuff moved by? With the auction ending now for example, your looking at 2 more weeks for your paperwork to clear (if it clears). So you would be looking almost June before you can get moved.

Breakdowns are not too much of an issue as long as you post your route and get some peoples numbers along that route.

I am guessing that your not needing more space to move stuff then can fit inside an 11.5' x 7'5 box? your not going to be needing one of their 26' box trucks?

KsM715

You want to buy a truck in Wa, take it to Wi, load it up and drive back to Wa? what sort of time frame do you have? If you have no time limit and way, way more than 3 grand to spend it might be doable. If 3 or 4 grand is your limit and you have a set time frame I dont see it happening. By the time you actually buy the truck, get your EUC cleared, get the truck road ready for a cross country trip, plus fuel/food/and lodging I see it costing more than 3-4K. Not to mention if you have a catastrophic engine failure with your truck loaded with your stuff.

Sorry not really the way to talk you into it.

kennys@wi.rr.com

I don't want to tinkle on your parade here, but it's not a wise idea. EUC's take a long time to clear and traveling that far in a Deuce will take many stops. Stops for fuel($4+ a gallon at the moment), and rest for you. They aren't the fastest or most comfortable mode of travel. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't give mine up for anything, but that's a long trip. I've made it many times in a road tractor and would never want to do it in a Deuce I wasn't very familiar with. Just my 2 pennys on this one.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Not the smartest idea, have you ever driven a deuce, do you know what the different systems do or what the sounds and actions of a malfunction, do you have the tools and can YOU fix the malfunction, I can go on for a page why NOT to do this

AMX

How about buying a deuce from an individual so you can try it out first and have title/insurance handled. Towbar the CUCV so no matter what you would have a ride.:-D

JRMITTS

Why not consider buying a used U-Haul for about 3 grand, you can pick it up right away and use it. Then when you're done sell it off and buy your Deuce when you aren't in such a hurry.

If you negotiate with them, you could get a decent price, and they are fairly easy to dispose of.

JR

SS-20841

Tlauden

I wouldnt make this my first deuce trip but If you have your heart set on a deuce, get it from a reputable private seller, and check it over with a fine tooth comb before handing your money over, read, read, then read some more ( especially the recover stories on this site) make sure you have tools, extra fluids, spare filters, and spare belts wouldn't hurt either. Post your route on here and maybe some of the nice folks on here would help you out if you run into problems you can't deal with yourself. The list goes on and on......

I personally have no idea what the roads on your trip are like, but plan on plenty of rest stops to stretch out and let your ears stop ringing.

Whatever you do decide to do though, best of luck to ya, oh, and welcome to the site:)

Firehound

well.. I've GOT an M101 here in WA (and know how EUC's work)... I have NO duce experience, but short of a engine or tranny failure I could fix it... BUT I wouldn't know the signs of impending doom... If it dont fit, it wouldn't ship... the idea to buy a used uhaul (or penske) truck IS a really good idea... I'll look into it.

Thanks for the replies!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks