• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

special charger for AGM batteries?

Ukraine Train

Truck sat for a couple weeks in the cold and then wouldn't start. Two of the batteries were at 10v so I pulled them all out to charge individually with my 12v charger but it didn't seem to take. I even tried putting one of the "good" batteries in parallel with the low ones while charging. Not sure if the cells are just completely dead or if I need a different charger?

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Hawkers need a deep 20-30 amp charge for 24-36 hours. They may not appear to start taking a charge for several hours. Once charged you can get a trickle charger to maintain them with agm feature.

Ukraine Train

That makes sense. My charger is only 6A. Time to go shopping I guess. Does the 20A charger need to be AGM-specific? I also need to get my voltage regulator sorted out; it's only putting out 24v and I think that's keeping the batteries from being "topped off."

Last edited:

Overdrive

I rescued my 4 LMTV batteries, two of which had ZERO water in them with my Genius 12/24v 7.5A charger. It can do AGM as well as LiPo and traditional batteries. Has a recovery mode I used on each individual battery once they were topped off with water and they have been going good since October. Each battery took almost 2 days for the charger to work thru its recovery mode.

I have the charger maintaining them when the truck is not in use.... I LOVE these chargers and am a big fan so far. Not saying its a miracle or can rescue all abused batteries just saying that is what I did and am sticking with it.

OD

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Those are not agm batteries. You have to measure the voltages at the alt regulator and the outputs of the alt. Its a common issue for the regulator wires
to go bad and you will have a low voltage issue. You have to run new wires to the regulator if thats your issue.

Ukraine Train

I rescued my 4 LMTV batteries, two of which had ZERO water in them with my Genius 12/24v 7.5A charger. It can do AGM as well as LiPo and traditional batteries. Has a recovery mode I used on each individual battery once they were topped off with water and they have been going good since October. Each battery took almost 2 days for the charger to work thru its recovery mode.
Do you have the Hawkers? Mine look like they're sealed up pretty well; how'd you get water in?

Hard Head

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use a 200 amp Schumacher charger to heat them up for an couple hours then switch to a pulsetech X2 xtreme or NOCO Genius for dual battery installs such as every generator I have. I did the same for my vehicles and I use either the pulsetech or noco chargers. Both have brought and maintain bad AGM batteries back from the dead that were less than 3V when I received them. Keep the chargers attached since it takes time ( a few weeks) to get the storage capacity back up after severe discharge has set in! I mount an X2 xtreme in every MEP generator we sell. Put the pulsetech pulse unit onboard and it will do it's thing while you drive around. I am not trying to sell pulsetech by the way! Just get a good desulfating AGM charger and use the maintenance cycle religiously.

www.pulsetech.net/Content/military-battery-SOP-example.aspx

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
You can get a small slave plug and connect it to a 24v trickle charger. I have small ones like this that work well they have a 10 or so foot cable already attached.

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I need to get the Hawkers in one of my trucks up to snuff from lack of use, I use this 8 amp charger. Has worked for years now. Bought it used for $30.

24V wheel chair charger. I just hook cables to first and last post. No muss, no fuss.

Attachments

Scrounger

First off you need to determine what type of battery you have. If it is a wet cell it will have six caps to check the electrolyte. If it is a AGM/ Hawker it will not have the removable caps.
The AGM battery charges differently than a wet cell battery. First and most importantly about charging then is to never exceed 40amps. In fact, 20 amps is much better. They require a low and slow charging method so as to not heat up and warp the plates or boil the non-replaceable electrolyte. It can easily take a week to charge a “dead” AGM. One of the benefits of the AGM is that they can be pulled down quite far and still be recovered.

Wet cell batteries can be charged at a higher rate as long as the electrolyte level is monitored.

Check the voltage with a multi-meter and if a wet cell reads 12.5 volts or less it needs charged. If an AGM battery reads 12.7 volts or less it needs charged.

As far as the regulator/ charging issue. The alternator should be putting out over 28 volts. If you are only showing 24 volts, the alternator may not be charging at all and the voltage that you are seeing is what the batteries are providing.
To test for that start by turning on the master switch and the run switch just in case. Then check for current at the exciter wire going to the alternator. That is the wire with the plug at the alternator. If there is current, then check the voltage at the batteries. If you really want to get ambitious you can also remove the cover on the alternator and check the voltage there. First with the engine off, then running. The voltmeter could be incorrect. If the voltage is the same when off or even less when the running the alternator is not charging and either the regulator or alternator is bad. Both are an easy fix.

Last edited:

Oxyacetylene

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a battery recovery charger called Da Pimp. It's a pulse type charger. I have had pretty good luck with it and sometimes I will use it to top off my batteries in the LMTV. It says it is ideal for lead acid batteries, but I have used it on AGM's as well. This isn't a battery maintainer though. Even though it only puts out about 1/2 amp, it still charges the LMTV battery bank. You can build the charger yourself like I did if you purchase the kit form. http://mikeysklar.blogspot.com/p/da-pimp-battery-desulfator.html

Ukraine Train

My Noco Genius 7200 came in and wasn't able to charge my batteries on regular AGM mode. I just switched it to recovery mode and we'll see if that helps it. What are people using to replace the Hawkers?

Hard Head

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use 2 of these NOCO's 20 amp chargers. They charge 10 amps per battery. There is a mini version that is 8 amp, 4 amps per battery. From death to 90% it took these chargers 2 weeks continuous to bring back 4 optima red tops that were less than 3 volts when I got them. I did charge discharge multiple times with my shop 200 amp charger and could never get the batteries to recover. I had 2 that would just drop to 6 volts under light load. That is when I just tried the Genius chargers which the vendor said he would take back if they couldn't recover my batteries. I put them on before we went on vacation and when when we got back I was surprised to see my battery tester report over 90% CCA on each battery. I am really happy with the charger. They are hard wired in the truck and I keep them plugged up. My Optimas are 10 years old and test at 98%. Since I buy new AGM batteries for all my gensets I went to a pulsetec xtreme 2 to maintain them. I like both chargers but the xtreme 2 @ 2.5 amps per channel in my opinion would not recover a battery that far gone on its own.

NOCO Genius GEN2 Battery Charger Specifics:

• For Use With: 12V Lead-Acid (Wet, Gel, MF & AGM)
  • Type of Charger: 8 Step, Fully Automatic, Switch-Mode
  • Number of Banks: 2
  • Charging Current: 10 Amps Per Bank