• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Spectra 31 gallon tank install with part #'s

Gunfreak25

Decided to toss my old stock tank, full of rust and algae particles or something.

I ordered all parts from Rockauto (not a sponsor or anything). I thought 31 gallons would be a nice upgrade.

Tank part number GM14B 31 gallon $87
31 gallon sending unit FG12J $58
Longer 31 gallon straps ST11 $17

These were all Spectra branded parts. The caveat here was the sending unit. Rockauto description for it was 31 gallon WITHOUT fuel return. Which is a problem for our trucks.

Continued below......

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Gunfreak25

However after studying the inventory photo, it appears it does have a return. What it does not have is a siphon pickup for draining the tank. You can see in the photo below the stock CUCV sender with 4 lines.

The 3/8 line is the fuel pickup
The 5/16 is the siphon pickup tube for drain
The smallest is 1/4 and is our return from engine.

Gunfreak25

Not a big deal. Dont really need the siphon pickup, just need the return which it has. You can see the new sender here with the return line circled.

Gunfreak25

I did make one change from the factory setup. The fuel return normally just drips into the tank. That is, the fuel return is above the fuel level most of the time.

I felt a better design would be using the rubber hose the new pickup came with to put the return below the fuel level (submerged).

This would eliminate any potential drain back issues with air getting sucked into the return line. A non issue if you have good tight hose connections so I suppose this could potentially mask weak connections, but it's how I did it.

The skid plate fits up perfect but I could almost stand to use some small spacers. Your mileage may vary.

Truck runs a lot better with new tighter hose connections and a new sock on the new sender pickup.

Gunfreak25

A side note, the filler neck hose is 2 inch diameter hose. 25 bucks a foot.....mine was still soft so I reused it. The filler vent is 5/8 fuel hose. 1 foot was just 3 bucks at Napa and was just enough to do it. I'd probably get 2 next time.

The anti squeak padding ontop of the old tank and straps is basically roofing felt paper. Available at any home improvement store. Mine was crumbling and glued on and was not reusable.

ssdvc

Just making sure I understand correctly, but this is for an M1009, correct?

phil2968

That 4th pick up was for a fuel fired heater I believe. I want to do this up grade to mine. Maybe I can stretch my refueling to once a week instead of every 4 days.

nyoffroad

I use old seatbelt material for the anti-squeak material in lieu of tar paper. Also the new fuel filler hose is available I bought one and it cost me $20. it is 1 5/8" https://www.fillernecksupply.com/1-5...SABEgL-ZPD_BwE

And I just looked and they are out of stock. If you get in a bind I bought 2 so I have an extra new one.
Never thought about using a seat belt, I use an old 4" wide truck winch strap that I picked up off the side of the road.

MarcusOReallyus

Hmm. Not sure I'd want to use something that would absorb water and hold it next to the metal.

Of course, some unenlightened person who doesn't care about the EPA might just soak one of those in used motor oil for a few days before putting it in there.

Not that I would ever do such a thing, of course....

:whistle:

cucvrus

DSCF5590M1009 fuel tank.jpgDSCF5630skid.jpgDSCF5626seat belt.jpgRusfre.jpgSeatbelt material holds very little if any moisture. I have not had any issues and some are in place 15 years. They are tight nylon and very resistant to rot and wear. I have the tanks primed and coated with the Rusfree rustproofing. That stuff seems to hold up well. Many items, vehicles I have coated. It dries to a smudge resistant finish and looks good for many years. Unlike some aerosol undercoating's that stay tacky and smudge easily. A plastic fuel tank would be the silver bullet. Good Luck. My way was only a suggestion. Nothing more. Good Luck. Another month and I may get rolling on my M1009 project. I have a few prospective buyers. Have a Great Day.

MarcusOReallyus

A plastic fuel tank would be the silver bullet.

Agreed! A few years ago I ran into somebody on another forum who was certain that plastic tanks were terrible, and would break down in a few years.

He was radically wrong on a lot of other things, too. :mrgreen:

Good Luck. My way was only a suggestion. Nothing more..

One based on experience, while my comment was pure speculation. Guess which one wins! :D

MarcusOReallyus

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter

rustystud

View attachment 755822View attachment 755825View attachment 755823View attachment 755824Seatbelt material holds very little if any moisture. I have not had any issues and some are in place 15 years. They are tight nylon and very resistant to rot and wear. I have the tanks primed and coated with the Rusfree rustproofing. That stuff seems to hold up well. Many items, vehicles I have coated. It dries to a smudge resistant finish and looks good for many years. Unlike some aerosol undercoating's that stay tacky and smudge easily. A plastic fuel tank would be the silver bullet. Good Luck. My way was only a suggestion. Nothing more. Good Luck. Another month and I may get rolling on my M1009 project. I have a few prospective buyers. Have a Great Day.
I have duel plastic fuel tanks in my 1984 CUCV. The original metal one was rusted out. So installed dual tanks. That was over a decade ago. Cannot remember where I bought them though. I also use Semi-Truck fuel tank strap isolators. They are rubber with a channel in them to hold them in place.
Here's a picture of a scrap piece I have left from my last tank install.

001.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks