• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Speedo Gear on Rear Transfercase PTO

jgusler

What kind of gauge hooks to the speedo gear that is located on the rear pto on a m35? I assume a rpm gauge but i've never seen one? I also did a search and tried to find the cable that would connect the two but couldn't find out nothing there either. Has anyone seen this gauge and cable?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No gauge, the cable is part of a speed governor used on fuel (and maybe water) trucks.

jgusler

Oh ok, thanks for the info. The PTO I bought was from and old gasser water truck so that explains a lot. Im going to remove it and just install a plug back in its place. Im having trouble with my PTO pulling oil from the transfer case and I think it might be drawing air around the speedo looking gear since I don't have a cable hooked to it.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
.............. Im having trouble with my PTO pulling oil from the transfer case and I think it might be drawing air around the speedo looking gear since I don't have a cable hooked to it.
That has nothing to do with the speedo and/or -cable disconnected.
Have you disassembled/ inspected/ cleaned both check valves? They may be stuck.

G.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How do you tell if your pump is working? I've wondered if mine was working properly but never looked into how to check.

Another thing I've found out with these PTOs, one I pulled from a truck had a check valve in the elbow that screws into the bottom of the t-case. The one I pulled from another truck (which is on my deuce) just had a straight through elbow (no check valve). I would assume a check valve in that location would keep oil from draining back out of the line and keep the pump primed.

Does anybody else's truck have a check valve in the elbow?

jgusler

I used white plastic tube from tractor supply so that I could see if it is oil is being pumped thru the line. I didn't know that there was 2 check valves in it, I thought it just passed straight thru. I guess i will take it apart and inspect/clean these valves. Thanks for the info

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks