• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Speedo Keeps Stripping

The Baron

Hey guys, I have a 1984 M1009. Just a little while ago my speedometer stopped working and I figured out that it was the speedo( the little part inbetween the transmission and the speedometer cable) that was the problem. It seemed that the female end where the speedometer cable feeds in stripped. I replaced the speedo not 5 months ago and just yesterday it stripped again. Is anyone else having this problem or know why its doing this?

GreenBull

Binding cable is the most likely cause for stripped speedometer driven gear. A speedo head could also bind. Check the tail shaft for lateral play when you replace the gear. Bad transfer case or transmission bearing is a much less likely cause and would cause lateral movement of the speedometer drive gear. edit to add: If its the cable interface of the driven gear that's stripped it would have to be in the cable or speedo. You may have had a piece of the cable broken off and left in the first failed gear. The cable should extend a fair way into the gear when properly installed.

Last edited:

Crash_AF

I think he's talking about the reducer box between the transmission gear and speedo cable dying. I'd say the cable is binding, but rather than replace the box again, I'd ditch it and get the proper transmission gears and replace them. That box is only so the military needed to carry only one transfer case with the gears in it. They chose the 1008's speedo gearset, putting an adapter on the 1009.

Later

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Often those speedo problems are the drive cable itself being dry and causing too much load. Pull the inside cable, clean it 1st, then lube it with some light grease, as you re-insert it into the housing. Seems that you had to do that from the top end - unscrew it from the speedo, and pull it out of the housing. Those little baby gear boxes, sometimes get worn too, but since your having trouble, better check that cable itself. Don't get much grease within 6" of the speedo. It will work itself up there, anyway.

jacksmad1

I had a similar problem with the driven gear stripping....replaced it twice before I finally figured out it was the speedometer cable causing too much drag. I had pulled the cable out of the housing and greased it but the nylon (plastic) liner inside the cable housing was too far gone and regardless of being greased caused too much resistance and caused the driven gear to strip. Since the cable was replaced last fall, so far no problem and the speedometer needle doesn't bounce as much either.