• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Speedo reads high- any thoughts?

zaxcucv

I did a search and see references to the speedo reading too low, but nothing on the speedo reading too high. Anyone have this problem and a solution? My speedo was reading about 80+mph while going 65 with the stock tires. Needle bounces a bit too. Now I have 33's on the truck, and the speedo is still off by about 10 percent on the high side. I have replaced the speedo cable, didn't help. Anyone have any thoughts? I've seen mention of lubing the speedo if it reads too low...would this help and does it require removal and disassembly of the unit? Because that is way beyond my meager abilities...

Thanks in advance.

zaxcucv

All great responses... I'll do a search and try to figure out the correct gear and where to get it. What would account for the bouncing needle?

ramcatdoc

My 85 M1009 does the exact same thing. 85 mph is about 65. 45 is 40, etc. The needle wobbles a lot at higher speeds. I therefore have no idea at all how far this truck has gone or what kind of mileage I get! I'm sure the odometer is reading too high, too.

My boys and I just say we are going "85 CUCV's per hour" (85 cph) and forget about it. :grin: I guess I could fix it, but I've gotten used to it. Don't think it's a tire thing, though.

charlietango

someone told me they did that because the cable gets crusty inside and catches, releases, catches etc etc.. not sure but sounds like it would make sense.

wayne pick

Tire size has everything to do with an inaccurate speedometer. Higher tires cover more ground per rotation than the stock tires. The speedometer gear in the trans is calibrated to the final drive ratio and the height of the stock factory tires. Mine is all wrong, 700r4+4.56 gears+285/16s=wacky speedo, 85 is actually 60, I checked it with my Tom-Tom GPS. I have also never seen a speedometer or fuel guage work right at the same time on any 80s Chevy trucks.

richingalveston

I was under the impression that the trucks with the np 208 were the same speedo gear internally.
The 1009 has an adapter that changes the cable speed to account for the 3.08 gears. The actual gear in the transfer case is the same and interchangeable.
If it has been rebuilt by someone other than when in military this could have changed. If it is stock, the internal t-case gear is the same.
I believe the NP 205 output is same as np208 without adapter.
From what I understand, if you put a 205 in a 1009, all you have to do is move the adapter from the 208 to the 205.

If your 1009 is showing 15MPH +/- slower than your actual speed with stock tire, someone probably removed the adapter.

Tires are a big reason most are off. 33's on all stock CUCV's with either t-case will make your actual speed 10mph lower on the speedo at 65. (speedo accuracy +/- of 5mph).

I am soon to have on the road a 1009 with 4l80e, NP 205, 4:56 diff and 39 inch tires. Speedo is going to be interesting.
Probably going to get the electric drive motor for the speedo that will connect to trans controller. I can then program the parameters.

Yes you can oil the cable, have to remove dash, bezel and cluster. Oil cable then put it all back. The cable however has no seal at the bottom so oil is temp fix.

Rich

ammuscle

Ok, mine is unmolested. Running 31-10.50 with the 208 transfer but since I bought it I had to replace the speedometer cable since mine was broke it still ha the adapter on the end of the cable goin into the transmission but it reads about 65-67 to run 55 mph. Anyone tell me what gear might help get it close to actual speed?

eme411

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi Guy's , all I can say on the speedo gears is read your parts books , lube your speedo cable ,on the speedo head it may need to be re-magnetised , remember these are 30 years old, or just buy a NEW speedo head from LMC,