• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Speedometer Adapter Assy (6) - M1009

DavidJBlythe

I thought I'd share my experience in the event anyone else has this problem.

- I off-road my truck quite a bit and get it in some deep Florida mud holes -

Recently my speedometer would work for a few seconds then fall to zero. After a few days, it never came back to life. I disassembled the dash and removed the speedometer. I checked it manually by spinning the back of it and it functioned normally. Next, I drove the truck down the street while looking at the end of the speedometer cable: It wasn't moving.
I crawled under the truck and inspected where it joined the transfer case. I unscrewed the cable from the adapter and crawled back out to remove the cable from the housing via the cab: No damage or wear to the cable.
I lubed the cable and sent it back into the housing. I did another test drive but there was no change. I crawled back under the truck and worked the cable by hand, and it turned freely. At this point I figured the problem must be closer to the transfer case.
I removed the adapter from the transfer case and also pulled the yellow plastic gear that turns it. The yellow gear looked fine and the teeth did not appear to worn, nor did the square slot for the adapter.
Finally, I checked the adapter. First using the yellow gear, and later a pair of pliers I could not make it turn. This must be the problem....
It's held together by three rivets, which I ground off. It split very easily revealing three small components: Two long little geared shafts and one little shaft with two gears of different sizes on it. It was very nasty in there...
It turns out that the long gear that turns the speedometer cable had frozen in place and would not turn. I knocked it out and found rust and other things not conducive to movement in there. I cleaned the entire thing with brake cleaner, wire-wheeled everything, and put it back together packed with fresh grease. Now it turns like a champ!!

If I can, I'll take some pictures! Very fun little project...

redline300

Recently my speedometer would work for a few seconds then fall to zero. After a few days, it never came back to life. I disassembled the dash and removed the speedometer. I checked it manually by spinning the back of it and it functioned normally. Next, I drove the truck down the street while looking at the end of the speedometer cable: It wasn't moving.
I crawled under the truck and inspected where it joined the transfer case. I unscrewed the cable from the adapter and crawled back out to remove the cable from the housing via the cab: No damage or wear to the cable.
I lubed the cable and sent it back into the housing. I did another test drive but there was no change. I crawled back under the truck and worked the cable by hand, and it turned freely. At this point I figured the problem must be closer to the transfer case.
I removed the adapter from the transfer case and also pulled the yellow plastic gear that turns it. The yellow gear looked fine and the teeth did not appear to worn, nor did the square slot for the adapter.
Finally, I checked the adapter. First using the yellow gear, and later a pair of pliers I could not make it turn. This must be the problem....
It's held together by three rivets, which I ground off. It split very easily revealing three small components: Two long little geared shafts and one little shaft with two gears of different sizes on it. It was very nasty in there...
It turns out that the long gear that turns the speedometer cable had frozen in place and would not turn. I knocked it out and found rust and other things not conducive to movement in there. I cleaned the entire thing with brake cleaner, wire-wheeled everything, and put it back together packed with fresh grease. Now it turns like a champ!!

How do you get the darn gear out of the tcase? my peedo stopped working one day. After turning the pin on the cable by hand that didn't seem to be the issue. So I removed the gear reduction and connected the cable directly to the tcase...it works but is shaky and around 5 miles slow when showing on the speedometer. So I am wanting to replace the gear inside the tcase but have been unable to remove the darn thing! I took the bolt off and the crescent shaped plate...but I can't get anything else off! AND now the speedo cable won't screw back on because the pin will only go in half way!

DavidJBlythe

From what I've been reading, you have to take part of the transfer case apart to get to the internal gear. I believe that you have to drop the rear drive shaft, and remove the little cone that is bolted to the main body of the case. You will see what I'm talking about if you look. This should allow access to the gear. I hope someone else will validate this....

-David

sdasdona

I have the same problem and it is definitely the adaptor. Took it apart and it seems to be fine but replace it and no change. Do you know where I can purchase another one? thanks Randy

41cl8m5

I did the same thing with removing the rivets trying to find what was up. The yellow gear in the case looked ok but no speedo cable movement with it attached to the adaptor or directly to the case. the yellow gear was square on the end the cable goes into but was slightly stripped, you can't tell by looking at it. So I replaced the yellow gear with a new one in the transfer case. Cleaned up the inside of the adaptor regressed it and attached it to the transfer case. Now the speedo workers fine, it seams the adapter after 25+ years needs a little attention.

sdasdona

I plugged my cable in direct to the yellow gear works fine but is %20 slower on the odometer. I too the adaptor apart and it looks fine , greased it up but still does not work when re installed. It must be a problem where the cable inserts ? would just like to get another one if i can.

jhyatt7

Same issue I guess

I'm having a similar issue as described. My speedo stopped working. the speedo gauge and cable itself are fine. I took apart the gear reduction adapter (3 rivets replaced with three small bolts) and thoroughly cleaned the gears, re-greased them and put it all back together. nothing changed. Now if i connect the cable directly to the case with no adapter the speedo works fine. I guess my question is two fold (1) If it works without the adapter is must be the adapter??????
(2) If its the yellow gear how do i get that little bugger out?

Oh BTW my M1009 is named HOUND 37 Haaaa Desert Storm call sign

gungearz

I wouldn't worry about a speedo, we won't break any land speed records with these things. Great informational thread though. Very good to keep these guys knowledgeable on keeping their trucks up to par. Thanks, davidjblythe...

glennw46

I'm fairly new to the forum and just got my M1009 ready for Texas State Inspection. Failed today because the speedo does not work. I'm getting some good ideas from this thread on repairs. Have 14 days to repair and take in for re-inspection or forfet the $14.50. Thanks Again and Merry Christmas

My speedo works well and is accurate after a transfer case gear change with housing modification. The odd issue I have is that when I drive the truck cold and I reach 60-65 mph the needle jumps up another 5 mph suddenly and wavers a little. When warmed up everything is accurate to .5 mph.

jplace1011

Any chance we can see some pics please?

I know I still have my same 1008 and speedo still has issues. I swapped gears to where it was fairly accurate back then but since that time it has gotten to the point of being 10mph high at highway speeds.

jplace1011

DavidJBlythe
New member · From Fort Meade, MD
Joined Jan 15, 2011
Last seen Feb 14, 2012
This member hasn't been seen in almost 10 years. I doubt he still has the M1009. Are you still having issues with the speedometer?
Hi Rick!! Yes I’m still having issues. The New Speedo Cable will work when placed into the Transfer case. It still won’t work when placed into the adapter. I’m thinking the Old Cable, that was too long, may have damaged the adapters. That’s just a thought, but I wondered if I could open one up to verify.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jplace1011

Probably been covered before but why can't we bypass the adapter again?
I think it has something to do with when you put bigger tires on and the rotation. The speed won’t be accurate, hence the adapter. Then again I could be Wrong! Maybe someone else can verify/chime in on this? Good question though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From what I understand it is not just the CUCV that uses these. They make under driven and overdriven adapters that compensate for gear ratios. My speedometer reads 10 mph high. When I put my 37s on I swapped the transmission driven gear out with some extras I had until I got close. I don't know why it has gotten so far off since then unless I made a mistake at that time. It sure seems like you could fiddle around with a transmission gear and just skip the adapter all together. I know putting the 37s on slowed things down immensely which was my whole point of doing it. (Well also the lift and the big tires look a lot cooler)

Barrman

Texas state inspections do not verify the speed is accurate. Just that the speedometer works. So, if you can remove the adaptor and get a working speedometer by plugging directly into the transfer case. That problem is solved.

The 1 ton truck and ambulance Chevy CUCV trucks all had 4.56:1 gear ratios and different sized tires than the 3.08:1 gear ratio M1009 trucks. The adaptor is so all of the transfer cases can have the same gears inside.

Put the male end of the adaptor into a drill chuck and and see if the speedometer works. If so, then the gear inside the transfer case might be the issue.

Texas state inspections do not verify the speed is accurate. Just that the speedometer works. So, if you can remove the adaptor and get a working speedometer by plugging directly into the transfer case. That problem is solved.

The 1 ton truck and ambulance Chevy CUCV trucks all had 4.56:1 gear ratios and different sized tires than the 3.08:1 gear ratio M1009 trucks. The adaptor is so all of the transfer cases can have the same gears inside.

Put the male end of the adaptor into a drill chuck and and see if the speedometer works. If so, then the gear inside the transfer case might be the issue.
Good information. Any idea on how many teeth the transfer case drive gears they used? I'd sure like to figure out how to get rid of that adapter and get close on the speedometer for my truck with 4.56 and 37" tires.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks