• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

speedometer problems

jmsneorrcom

I am a first time CUCV owner - 1984 - I took apart the dashboard to clean all the grime and dust out, after I put it back together I noticed the speedometer bouncing all over the place, and Ideas on what problem could be thanks.

Brad M

I am a first time CUCV owner - 1984 - I took apart the dashboard to clean all the grime and dust out, after I put it back together I noticed the speedometer bouncing all over the place, and Ideas on what problem could be thanks.
First a few questions... How far apart did you take it? Did you remove the speedometer?

If so did you get the cable snapped back on completely or is it lose and not seated fully?

Did you move the cable much or bend it out of the way for any reason?

jmsneorrcom

I took off the plastic cover, I did not remove the speedometer, but I did wipe it down with a paper towel. so I dont know if I got it too wet or knocked something loose.
also there is no back light for the speedometer, to fix that do you need a new speedometer. I did not see a light bulb anywhere behind there to replace.
there is a lightbulb right behind the defroster for some reason that I cant figure out.

Brad M

I took off the plastic cover, I did not remove the speedometer, but I did wipe it down with a paper towel. so I dont know if I got it too wet or knocked something loose.
also there is no back light for the speedometer, to fix that do you need a new speedometer. I did not see a light bulb anywhere behind there to replace.
there is a lightbulb right behind the defroster for some reason that I cant figure out.
Ok it sounds like it was just a coincidence in timing. You can try to pull the cable (push clip from behind towards seat to get it out of way to release the cable) and possibly put some lube down the shaft but by what your telling me you most likely did not cause it by just removing the first plastic layer. If the lube does not work try the other end (connection or gear) or replace it. The bulbs can be removed by reaching behind the cluster and unlocking their holders. However, do them one at a time and put them back unless you know where they go because there are different types in different holders and you do not want to get them mixed up.

If you are adventurous, you can look up the thread on cleaning the connections. This was the first thing i did when I got mine a few weeks ago and it was well worth it. All my lights and gauges work great now.

sirleaksalot

not to hi jack his thread. but mine is 5 mph off (fast) until 65 which is really 55 and the needle jumps from 60 to 70 to 75 all while I am only doing say 55 to 60.
up until that point the needle is steady no jumping.

Brad M

not to hi jack his thread. but mine is 5 mph off (fast) until 65 which is really 55 and the needle jumps from 60 to 70 to 75 all while I am only doing say 55 to 60.
up until that point the needle is steady no jumping.

My M1008 is similar as to be slow until 45mph (compared to GPS) and then fast past 45mph. And just after 45mph until 50mph, it jumps. I expect it to get worse over time and eventually need to replace the cable gear or both. I have little experience with MV's thus far but with other vehicles, we would pull the cable remove the cable core from the sheathing and look for points where the core was unraveling. If that was found immediately, replace the cable. If not flush the sheathing with cleaner and use grease to lube the core and put it back together. Usually that took care of it unless the sheathing was just about to wear a hole in it. Speedo cable on eBay for $32.50 shipped so how much is repacking one worth to you when it may or may not work? But it still could be the gauge or the gear so it is a toss-up. As for the inaccuracies, it is between the gear and the tires to get them as close as possible.

sirleaksalot

yea, I went through it on our toyota t-100. had to replace the cable and housing. it was surging and then final broke. of course I was working out of town so no time to fix it myself. it was almost 300 from toyota. I have been watching the spedo on flebay as you mentioned also.

Barrman

Mine does the same thing. 3-4 mph fast, but steady at all speeds up to around 50. Then it starts jumping 10-15 mph fast. I put in a new speedo, oiled the cable and made sure the little reduction box at the t-case spins free. Now it stays steady up to around 60, then jumps at times and goes back to being steady again. I guess the cable will be the next part to buy.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks