• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Speedometer Sleeve Retainer Missing?

dagsurplus

My M1009 is missing the thing that holds the speedometer sleeve and seal in the hole at the top of the transfer case (see photo). From TM9-2320-289-20P, p. 539, it seems that there is supposed to be a "retainer" (Part No. 1254856) that's held on by a hex. screw (Part No. 8639743). If this is the case, where can be parts be obtained; what is the screw type/size? Also, would it be possible to just use something like a fender washer in place of the retainer? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

dagsurplus

Use the part numbers in a google search with some descriptive words. Most of the time sources can be found that way.

Good advice. I'd tried googling with only the number but including a description resulted in Ebay listing for both. Bought the retainer for $15; bolt at $6 seems a little expensive; still looking. Thanks again cpf240.$(KGrHqRHJFEFDzLs+kFeBQ+!!rpJT!~~60_57.jpg

cpf240

...bolt at $6 seems a little expensive; still looking.
Blue pill or red? Sometimes you need to go down the rabbit hole. Putting the screw's part number into the part number field of this site http://www.dlis.dla.mil/WebFlis/pub/pub_search.aspx gave me an NSN of 5305011509781. Sometimes the description at that site will give you the specs of the screw, etc, but not this time. Googling that NSN, I came up with this info:

SCREW,CAP,HEXAGON H 6-1.0 X 16MM

Now the page this was on was a part list for the HMMWV, but, as far as I know, an NSN for a screw wouldn't be used for more than one specification of a screw, etc. The google results had other pages as well, so you could check others to see if they list the specs and if they match, but at least it is a place to start. For example: http://www.nsn-now.com/Indexing/ViewDetail.aspx?QString=5305011509781

And a big Thank You for looking up the part numbers in the TM!