• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Spen Trailer??

cjcottrill

I can't figure this trailer out. I think it might have been a spen at some point, maybe a water trailer? Anyone know how to date by axle configuration? The guy I bought it from had no info about it. I would like to title it with the correct year or at least close.

Attachments

txdodge43man

No Idea I can tell you that the rims look like they are the size of jeep rims. It might be a mix of jeep trailer and home made parts. most military trailer tongues are removable but it is not any kind of jeep trailer I know of.2cents

cjcottrill

It came with a pretty well built wood bed, no doubt not original but none the less old. The ratchet handle parking brake is a match to the 40's Spen water trailers I've seen. It has a solid square axle with single brake band like the early airstreams, but straight axle instead of drop axle. It has 6.00 x 16 rims with tires branded military 1953, with hubcap clips. The hubcaps are not embossed. The back had a pair of Grotelite 100 reflectors, and one mounting hole for the missing taillight. It very well could be a marriage of sorts, but apparently an older one. The landing leg appears original and looks like some Spen 3/4 ton trailers I've seen. I'm thinking of making a SPEN wood bed look-a-like out of it.