• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Spewing diesel above engine

mx599

Hey guys just wondering if I can get some quick advice so I can narrow my focus. My CUCV K30 6.2l is spewing/pulsating fuel below the air cleaner assembly, more specifically below the air manifold sort of between the valve covers and shooting in a rearward direction towards firewall.

What is likely going on? thanks for your time!

cucvrus

High pressure fuel delivery line leaking/cracked???? 35 year old 1/4" rubber hose cracked/split. Many possibilities. Remove the air clear housing and fire it up. Carefully search with a mirror and a flash light. Old vehicle lots of wear items that need serviced. Most are just standard off the shelf items. Report back. Good Luck.

sneekyeye

I would guess it's the fuel supply line to the injector pump. like the other guy said, if one of your high pressure lines has rusted through and burst, you'll get a pretty good spray.
When you replace the supply rubber hose, don't just get the cheapest hose you can find. At least get some 30r9 hose for its better construction so you don't have to fool with it again for a long time.

mx599

Thanks guys. It happened right before I left town and had to just shut hood and roll eyes. Thought I could get some quick help before I am back to investigate more. The truck was not used for some time and mouse nest in same spot now soaked with diesel.

I noticed multiple hard lines in concentric fashion but have not look close enough to see what else. So there is a rubber hose in that area too? Now i am not quite sure if it was pulsing or not...maybe a subtle pulse or maybe it just changed a bit with engine rpm change.

Either way, I suppose the first place would be to check rubber hose with the mice and all.

are the parts break downs posted in the tech manuals section? I have a hard copy at home but will not be back until next week. I was trying to get as much armchair wrenching done before I get home, hence this post.

Much appreciated!

mx599

Okay, quick update. I found a manual on other page and made a little sense out of things. I did see the 8 ? hard lines in circle distribution and I don't believe it was those. So like you are all saying, is there a rubber hose that feeds that injector pump tucked away in there? Mine is a 1984 and I don't think I have a secondary filter near the manifold like some pics showed. I think mine is the box shaped filter mounted on the firewall.

So does that mean I am looking to follow a lower pressure rubber hose from the filter to that injector pump? Does that sound about right?

And if it is one of the hard injector lines, that will be much more involved to fix, correct?

sneekyeye

The injector lines are kind of a pain, but it's most likely a broken supply line if you've got a mouse nest. You can reach under from the back if you take the air cleaner off, and replace the hose that way. It takes some finagling, and laying on top of the engine but it's doable. And don't lay on the throttle cable.