• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Spin on oil filter kit

dabtl

I am a lawyer. I do not have an educated opinion on engineeering or design.

I bought from jatonka when they were the sole source. They have worked extremely well for me.

But, I do enjoy hearing and reading the different opinions expressed here about the differences in the products.

But, let's keep it civilized.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RL -

Sorry if you misunderstood - MY (DUGS), me, mine truck is a toy. I have no idea what or how you use your truck and wouldn't try to post about it. I did use the phrase - "like I do" though. I'm not sure how else I could have worded that sentance. I went from talking about what Westfolk uses his trucks for to saying I use mine as a toy.

I use MY truck as a big toy. I have no real "NEED" for it. MY TRUCK.

Again, I wasn't trying to post anything about you or your truck.

I did take some offense to your suggesting I didn't do my homework (which I did, but you had no way of knowing if I did or not), but no big.

I have a little automotive mechanical background myself - the Navy (your tax dollars) spent huge money training me to be an Avaition Support Equipment Technician. That's a big long phrase that means I maintain every type of support equipment - planes will not get in the air without my gear. The biggest and baddest would be an aircraft carriers flight deck crane (Tilly). If it goes down planes are not allowed to launch unless the CO signs off so it must stay operational at all times. 99% of the engines in the fleet are diesel.

Just so we are clear - MY truck is MY toy. I have about 4000 miles on some of the spin ons (they didn't all go on at once).

To anyone who see this thread in the future, please note that I consider my truck a big ugly toy and I have a ton of fun with it.

fat lady sings

Last edited:

JasonS

I have installed two brands of kits. One was well designed and machined. The other was not. It had very rough machining. The drill used to bore the oil holes was done with so much force that the aluminum was mushroomed out the back. The hollow bolt head was too small and had very little contact with the adapter plate. The center of the hollow bolt was very rouchly machined and it was difficult to remove all of the filings trapped in it.

All is not equal. Do your howmework.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have installed two brands of kits. One was well designed and machined. The other was not. It had very rough machining. The drill used to bore the oil holes was done with so much force that the aluminum was mushroomed out the back. The hollow bolt head was too small and had very little contact with the adapter plate. The center of the hollow bolt was very rouchly machined and it was difficult to remove all of the filings trapped in it.

All is not equal. Do your howmework.
Good to know, thanks. Mine are steel.

westfolk

I got my Oil Filter kit from JATONKA. Great kit, high quality and the filters are readily available from napa and are typical Fleet diesel oil filter.

RL

RL just using your quote, it's not personal.

So much excitement over something so simple. What for?

I would like to know what a typical fleet diesel oil filter is though? Here is a partial list of just one of the filters I use and what it is also used on.

APPLICATIONS FOR PART 1794

BLUE BIRD+BusesCommercial Busw / Chevrolet (7.0L) Engine
BLUE BIRD+BusesSTC3904w / Chevrolet (7.0L) Engine
BLUE BIRD+BusesTC1000w / Chevrolet (7.0L) Engine
BLUE BIRD+BusesTC2000w / Chevrolet (7.0L) Engine

WESTERN STAR+Trucks4900EXw / Caterpillar C15 ACERT Engine
WESTERN STAR+Trucks4900FAw / Caterpillar C15 ACERT Engine
WESTERN STAR+Trucks4900SAw / Caterpillar C15 ACERT Engine

So it's good enough for a CAT C15, which is a diesel not a gas engine. Built for 100s of thousands of miles. Yet isn't good enough for a multifuel.
This is just one of the many filters that can be used. Versus say another kit that can use ONLY ONE filter. That filter itself is from an engine group that is dead. Unlike engines that are still being built that run filters suxh as the one above.

Someone mentioned fitting size. You are right 7/8" is bigger that 13/16". But isn't 1" bigger than 7/8"?

9-11 gallons/minute
11-13 gallons/minute
12-16 gallons/minute max. flow rate. Which is better? Everyone seems to think 11-13gal./min. Doesn't make sense to me though. I'd go with the 12-16

All everyone talks about is the old design I made. No one talks about the 3rd design. 29 different filters all used on CAT, Cummins, and IH engines. Maybe they are gas too.

When you buy something do you want it to do the job? Or do you want it to do the job and something more that isn't needed?

Listen people....I mean no disrespect to anyone. Even JT. Though I built my first kit back when I was in college, which was in the eigthies. JT did his first one a few years ago. He believes he is the master. Fine with me. He started selling them in quanity. I only did because I was asked if I would.

I could care less if I sell another single kit. All the business can go to JT. I'm sure he would enjoy the business.

As for machining. Time is money. The more the machining. The more the money. There is a very simple reason why I can sell mine cheaper. Time.

So, FWIW, guys just agree to disagree. What does it really matter in the end.

baxter

Id add that I've run westfolks on my truck for the last couple months and have been thrilled. A good friend of mine runs JT's hes also happy. Just read the different threads and choose.

M-35A3

I bought a set of spin ons from WestFolk ( was made from aluminum i think ) and the adapter itself looked great no problems at all with it . Iam not sure if it was due to the oil change/old filters or what but now since i have the spin ons the deuce runs alot smoother . I plan on buying the fuel adapter kits from WestFolk in the future.

( He even had a installation video on how to install them . This was my first time ever working on the deuce so this really helped me get into it. )

dabtl

Listen people....I mean no disrespect to anyone. Even JT. Though I built my first kit back when I was in college, which was in the eigthies. JT did his first one a few years ago. He believes he is the master. Fine with me. He started selling them in quanity. I only did because I was asked if I would.
I enjoyed your input until I got to the phony bashing paragraph. While I had installed spin on filters before you began marketing, I might still have purchased yours were I in the market. This cannot help your sales effort. Just my $.02

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
[QUOTE
9-11 gallons/minute
11-13 gallons/minute
12-16 gallons/minute max. flow rate. Which is better? Everyone seems to think 11-13gal./min. Doesn't make sense to me though. I'd go with the 12-16[/QUOTE]

My only thought is the Deuce oil pump puts out 22gpm you go putting 9-11gpm filter on there will this show up as a restriction and open the pressure bypass and this letting unfiltered oil pass to engine? I like Mikes (ODI) that used a filter that ran 30gpm max.

JasonS

Cut the guy some slack. Whether or not you him or his products, he is still providing a service to the SS market and competition.

stumps

9-11 gallons/minute
11-13 gallons/minute
12-16 gallons/minute max. flow rate. Which is better? Everyone seems to think 11-13gal./min. Doesn't make sense to me though. I'd go with the 12-16
My only thought is the Deuce oil pump puts out 22gpm you go putting 9-11gpm filter on there will this show up as a restriction and open the pressure bypass and this letting unfiltered oil pass to engine? I like Mikes (ODI) that used a filter that ran 30gpm max.
The deuce's cartridge oil filters are in parallel, not series. That means the oil flow from the pump is split into two equal paths: One goes through one filter, and the other goes through the other filter. That means that they provide a total filter capacity that is twice that of each individual cartridge.

I believe that westfolk is assuming you have familiarity with the flow numbers for three different filters: JT's spin-on filters are rated 11-13 gallons per minute each. The smallest filters used in Westfolk's second adapter were 9-11 gallons per minute each, and westfolk's latest spin-on filters are rated 12 to 16 gallons per minute each. Since there are two parallel filters in the MF engine, the actual flow rate capability of the MF filter system is double these numbers. [Edited to correct: 9-12 gpm is Westfolk's version I, 11-13 is JT's, and 12-16 is Westfolk's version III]

JT's design was cloned from an adapter plate, and spin-on cartridge family, that White/Hercules tried for the multifuel engine as used in one of their tractors. The cartridges they, and JT, used are rated 11-13 gallons per minute each, and as White/Hercules showed, they handle the job just fine.

[NOTE: JT informs me that the WIX 51458 filter he recommends is rated at 11-13 gallons per minute, for a total capacity of 22 to 26 gallons per minute in the deuce, and White/Hercules, not Continental was responsible for the adapter...]

Last edited:

JasonS

Also keep in mind that the 22 gpm spec is at the maximum engine speed of 2600 rpm. You probably don't want to run that speed for long anyway.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Someone sell any after market product should never assume anything I would think and the 51133 wix canester show full flow when I look it up no gpm rating.

stumps

Also keep in mind that the 22 gpm spec is at the maximum engine speed of 2600 rpm. You probably don't want to run that speed for long anyway.
And that could be the reason that Hercules/White chose the spin-on filter size they did. The tractor engine version of the MF was not rated to run at 2600 rpm, but rather something like 2200 rpm.

-Chuck

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks