• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

spin on oil filters

bgekky3

I had to take both of mine off and retorque/overtorque them. I used the gaskets that came with the kit. One right after I put them on and one a few days later. They always seemed to ooze a little bit of oil until I replaced the gaskets with rubber ones. Once I put the rubber ones on they sealed and never leaked, with the proper torque. My anti drainback filters leaked down too, so it took a lond time to get oil pressure. After my cam broke and I replaced the engine and put on new filters, I had oil pressure in a second and a half. Now I am happy and would recommend them to everyone.

dabtl

I have the jatonka adapters. No leaks, no problems and an easy install.

But, they have the correct gaskets included. I looked at some that came with the original replacement filters and they were slightly out of spec.

bgekky3

I have the JT ones too. I just have bad luck. I got some bad filters and my gaskets leaked. JT, as far as I know, isn't on the QC line of NAPA filters. That is the cost of doing buisness. I fixed the problem and now can't be happier. The quality of the adapters is great, and I have purchased a second set.

otisroy

I installed my the spin-ons on my M109 yesterday and the rear is weeping a bit even after I overtorqued them a bit. I didn't have any issues when I installed 'em on my M35. I was thinking of getting the rubber gaskets to compensate for the imperfections on the block. Anybody know the NAPA part number for the rubber gaskets?

I installed the primary and secondary fuel filter kits yesterday too. I read that some folks people are worried about fuel flow issues. My seat of the pants benchmark says the truck pulls just as hard if not harder in the sand.

Last edited:

otisroy

Nevermind the rubber gasket. I picked up another 5119 gasket at NAPA and replaced the the one I'd installed the day before and torqued it about to about 60lbs. Everything is fine....go figure.

Thanks to JT for the good advice.

ke6kze

How do you drain the spin-on filters when changing the oil and filters? When draining the original filters, I use the drain plug just below the oil filter. Will the spin-on filters drain the same way?

thanks ,

Frank

otisroy

They don't drain down(half the reason for using 'em) so you just get a handful of paper towels and catch the oil as soon as you spin the filter off. You might have a small amount of oil that you'll need to wipe up. Easy enough to do and well worth it.

I was going to pick up an oil extractor for my genny and possibly a boat. Punching the filter and sucking the oil out might make life that much easier.

dabtl

I have changed the filters twice on the jatonka spin on oil filters. The first one I removed spilled some oil, easily wiped up, and when I removed the second I simply put a towel around it and there was little to wipe after.

The second time, I put paper towels around the filter bases and removed both. I used the towels to wipe up any left on the adapters or filter base. There was very little mess.