• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Spin On Primary Fuel Filter

dabtl

I just got jatonka's spin on primary fuel filter kit installed on the deuce.

Looks great, easier to change the filter and a quick install.

Now we see how it performs.

dabtl

With it on the vehicle pics would not show much.

However, it is an alloy adapter which screws on to the existing bolt on the top of the primary fuel filter bracket.

The adapter replaces the steel can of the original and the same gasket is used on the alloy adapter. The spin on filter is then placed on the adapter.

Replacing the primary fuel filter is a PITA in stock configuration. The new set up allows the change in seconds.

It uses the NAPA 3405 or WIX 33405 filters. They are rated at 12 microns.

John has been very clever about making this a simple task and a simple adaption. It took no more than five minutes, once the old filter can was removed.

nickd

yes they have a drain cock for dumping water. I installed one of John's primary fuel filter adapters 12 months ago. I changed the filter in 5 minutes and cut the old filter open and was suprised to find the junk that filter grabbed out of the tank.

dabtl

These adapters are cleverly designed to work in place of the hard to remove cannister and filter.

I have had a difficult time getting my oil change people to mess with it. OK, so I am a wimp and let someone else do the work.

But, now they just call O'Reilly and get WIX filters for the most part.

I have been pushing John to produce the secondary filters in spin offs, but they are easier to change out. I still would prefer the look of modern filters on the rig, however.

dabtl

I took some pics today but mostly you can see only the bottom of the adapter and the filter.

If you look at the pics of the spin on oil filters you can see the same type of adapter.

What John has done is make an alloy adapter base which duplicates the original can sealing system. The original gasket simply is compressed by the alloy adapter, the original bolt at the top which previously held the can in place now holds the adapter in place. Then the adapter has a threaded attachment for the spin on filter.

Just as on the spin on oil filters you can see the advantage of a quicker change and better filter.

What is unseen, however, is the problem with the primary filter removal in the first place. The bolt holding the primary fuel filter can is reached from the top side where you cannot see the filter. I found I had to loosen the alternator, get it out of the way and then use a 1 inch open end wrench to turn the bolt to loosen the filter for removal.

The install procedure for the adapter install is the same as the original primary fuel filter can. Turn the top bolt to pull the adapter into position on the gasket and tighten. When you have a good seal between the adapter and the base, spin on the new filter.

Perhaps John can post a pic or two of the adapter, because I am for certain not going to pull it off!

Attachments

dabtl

That the local oil change will do it without complaining and charging more is a larger bonus to me.

Now if John Tennis will simply do the same with the secondary and final filters, everyone can change the things out in minutes. :)