• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Spin on seconndary fuel filter adapters

SasquatchSanta

I recently installed a Car Quest spin-on filter assembly. Car Quest delivers so I went to them with the 4309 (base) and 3418 (filter) NAPA numbers recommended by Devilman.

I don't know if things got messed up (crossed up) in the cross-referencing from NAPA to Car Quest BUT the flow arrows going into the base were opposite to the required/desired flow. Installation required a more plumbing time and expense than if it had of been a simple in & out plumbing project. Pictures are attached.

As someone that's "been there and done that", My advise is to go the Jatonka (John Tennis) route.

Attachments

dabtl

That certainly appears more complex than the jatonka set up. The jatonka rig is as close to being a five minute job as any that I know of and it seems to work fine.

SasquatchSanta

dabtl wrote:

That certainly appears more complex than the jatonka set up. The jatonka rig is as close to being a five minute job as any that I know of and it seems to work fine.
I agree.

As I understand it, the Jatonka solution is easier to install and every bit as good.

Anytime there is a lot of plumbing to do things get complex not to mention expensive given the price of brass. Also, If you don't have a ready inventory of fittings (most don't), a plumbing project can cost a parts run or two. We just finished plumbing an external by-pass filter and a home engineered pre-lube pump so I know first hand about this.

I bought the Car Quest system several months ago and have been hauling it around in my "To-Do" tool box.

sprucemt

Jatonka has the primary fuel filter adapters in stock and the secondary fuel filter adapters are being made.

I have two NOS, spin on primary fuel filter housings with filter from the Gamma Goat if anyone wants to duplicate SasquatchSanta's type system.

And then again genuine issue filters are available too.

Choices, choices, choices.

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
Sasquatch it appears that you ordered the wrong brand of 4309 filter base. The NAPA base is just like the one in Devilman's technical article, and I believe the one he sells on his website. Compare the pics and you will see that the one he suggested is a simple in and out on each side. Devilman did a really great job with the base mount, but it probably does not have to be that well done. There will be no complicated plumbing with the correct base.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?module=pagesetter&func=viewpub&tid=3&pid=48

Attachments

SasquatchSanta

You may be right Ethan.

I just sorted through a large stack of Car Quest receipts to determine the part number of the base I ended up with. I requested the equivelent of the NAPA 4309 base and 3418 filter. I know I received a Car Quest 86418 (@$16.77) filter but can't find the number of the base. As I said in my original post, things could have got crossed up when the numbers were cross referenced.

As I understand it --- Jatonka's modification doesn't require fuel lines to be fussed with. If true, that alone is a big benefit

At any rate --- what I did was a pain in the butt.

sprucemt

SasquatchSanta said:
You may be right Ethan.

I just sorted through a large stack of Car Quest receipts to determine the part number of the base I ended up with. I requested the equivelent of the NAPA 4309 base and 3418 filter. I know I received a Car Quest 86418 (@$16.77) filter but can't find the number of the base. As I said in my original post, things could have got crossed up when the numbers were cross referenced.

As I understand it --- Jatonka's modification doesn't require fuel lines to be fussed with. If true, that alone is a big benefit

At any rate --- what I did was a pain in the butt.
Reviewing your two pics and comparing the tech pics,all looks ok. What is missing in the tech pics, is a pic of how the plumbing is hooked up.

Anyhow, I do want to commend you for your honest opinion.

JDToumanian

Ernie did it right... Napa changed part number 4309, the direction of flow is opposite. Mike (Devilman) told me that for a while he was getting either flow direction when he ordered them, but recently they have all been opposite. Napa said the old style is no longer available unless it is old stock on a shelf but because it's the same part number there is no way to check. I attached a pic to show how I jumped from one side to the other...

Ethan - take a close look at the pic of the filter adapter you posted... you can see the arrows cast into the top indicating the direction of flow, and it becomes obvious that plumbing like Ernie's or mine is necessary. Mike plans to update the tech article to reflect these changes.

That said, all this talk has been about primary filters yet the original question was about spin-on adapters for the secondary filters on the side of the engine. Was John making adapters for these? Any update on that?

Regards,
Jon

Attachments

dabtl

Jon, do you have a plumber's license for all that? Drill the frame, mount the adapter, string pipe, look for leaks and it does the same as the five minute jatonka install? Wow! I do not know how much price difference there is but you must have surely spent at least a couple of hours on the install and a trip or two to the parts house.

I need simple stuff for my brain to comprehend it. Kind of like Bjorn's flasher protector, if I can understand it, it is simple to install.

But that is a neat looking install. Did you have to make those copper lines to adapt to the stock fuel lines? I assume so, although I cannot see the beginning of them.

dabtl

sprucemt said:
The JATonka secondary adapters are in process of being built.
So, when will he be ready to deliver? I suggested this to him some months ago. I think modern filters would be better than 50 year old designs, but I look forward to seeing if I am right on that. But, spin on beats the stock filter design any day.

nickd

John,
Can we have an update on the availability and perhaps cost? I have been impressed by your other adapter products. It appears you are the sole source for the secondary fuel adapters. I would rather adapt than perform a plumbing merit badge project. Oh have you selected the spin on filter to fit the secondary fuel filter adapters?