• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Spindle Locking Nuts?

erasedhammer

So now that I am at higher speeds with the 4l80, the thought of the spindle coming off on the freeway is only more stressful. I know that if I check the spindles nothing should happen, but I still want to find a permanent solution to the problem.

I heard that h1s had locking nuts on the spindle, where can I get these?

erasedhammer

**** just found out it's $90 for one wheel...
That's just highway robbery...
I usually like to be bought dinner before I get ****ed.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That was a HUGE Safety of Use Message (SOUM) when I was in. Back in 2008-9. It was a hard stop until repaired... You think yours made it out without modification?

erasedhammer

That was a HUGE Safety of Use Message (SOUM) when I was in. Back in 2008-9. It was a hard stop until repaired... You think yours made it out without modification?
I'll have to check my spindle, but my humvee was in the army reserve up until 2013 at least. Last service was in 2013 with an engine rebuild

MaverickH1

**** just found out it's $90 for one wheel...
That's just highway robbery...
I usually like to be bought dinner before I get ****ed.
Yep, it's expensive. But I bet once you priced out the civilian locking kits you'd find it's probably on par with their price. And theirs is not a positive lock. And everytime you remove the hub to replace the crappy seals in the hubs you'll be replacing the $8 geared washer.

It was an easy choice for me. I calculated it as a wash plus a huge safety upgrade.

Last edited:

NormB

www.flashoffroad.com/hmmwv/hubdanger.htm

references SOUM-00-017, SOUM-00-014

Also see PS mag issue 578
(psmag.radionerds.com/images/d/d7/PS_Magazine_Issue_578_January_2001.pdf)

Was going to pull wheels to drain hubs, now I'll inspect them for this too, although the truck WAS in service until 2009, I think.

Thanks a lot for posting.

Last edited:

fllaw1

This issue is the whole reason why I worry about running the the steel wheels with run flats on the regular roads that's 164 lbs per wheel. Yes pull your wheel off and weigh it if you can by yourself that's how much they weigh. I was looking to put a nice blacked out Aluminum wheel like the civilian Hutchinsons

IMG_2702.JPG IMG_2704.JPG

Last edited:

erasedhammer

So all vehicles were required to have what, lock nuts? lock washers? What was the design they used and how well do they stand up to backing off and causing major problems on the road?

erasedhammer

This issue is the whole reason why I worry about running the the steel wheels with run flats on the regular roads that's 164 lbs per wheel. Yes pull your wheel off and weigh it if you can by yourself that's how much they weigh. I was looking to put a nice blacked out Aluminum wheel like the civilian Hutchinsons

View attachment 683012 View attachment 683013
Say what you will, the steel wheels are pretty hardcore and withstand a lot of crap that they get off road... I've been in situations before where I surely thought the wheel was going to be bent or worse.

fllaw1

Say what you will, the steel wheels are pretty hardcore and withstand a lot of crap that they get off road... I've been in situations before where I surely thought the wheel was going to be bent or worse.
ahh my point and worry is all of the added weight and stress to the spindle if not needed (not in a time of war or combat,and driven mostly on the hard roads at higher speeds) once you have taken one of these apart which all should and make sure you have had the upgrade done to the nut and key washer and the teeth are properly in the notches you understand how frail this spindle coming off could be. There was also a similiar scare of the stock engineered setup with the H2s when they came out with the front wheels coming off

IMG_2750.jpg IMG_2751.jpg

Last edited:

DatGuyC

So all vehicles were required to have what, lock nuts? lock washers? What was the design they used and how well do they stand up to backing off and causing major problems on the road?
The early style spindle nut only had one tab for the lock washer to engage and these were found to be unreliable, so they were replaced with the later style that has 2 tabs per side.

Shows the different styles: http://www.hummerpartsguy.com/Geared-Hub-Spindle-Nuts_b_3.html

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine has the geared tab washers and seems fine, but now you've got me worried. Has anyone had these fail? Reusing the washers asks for trouble, but as long as they engage well, as an engineer I still feel safe enough. It's all managed risk at 60mph with 3 tons...
The locking nuts are an interesting idea.
BDGR

MaverickH1

Mine has the geared tab washers and seems fine, but now you've got me worried. Has anyone had these fail? Reusing the washers asks for trouble, but as long as they engage well, as an engineer I still feel safe enough. It's all managed risk at 60mph with 3 tons...
The locking nuts are an interesting idea.
BDGR
Yes, there have been failures, whether it is "often" or not I'll leave for you to decide. IMO, it's the most unsafe thing of the HMMWV/H1 design. Two members on the Hummer Network had wheels fly off at interstate speeds this year. It's not exactly a large crowd of owners.

Engineering wise, consider that you have a small metal tab that is holding that entire wheel if the spindle nut starts to lose torque. That small metal tab is not always engaged perfectly into the openings on the spindle nut, either. While sometimes the tab shears off, there are also times where the poor engagement lets the spindle nut twist and push the little washer tab out and then chew through it over time.

In my opinion, the only downside to the BlueHummer kit is the price. Let your mind think about this happening to you on the highway. A 160 lb wheel/tire combo rolling at 60 mph has a LOT of potential energy and absolutely has the potential to be deadly, not to mention the risk of roll-over and worse in your truck. Remember that those lightweight aluminum A, B, and C pillars are NOT roll-over protection. They will fold. And that is exactly the kind of incident the safety Nazis of this country and in your state would want to rip these trucks off of the road. I wouldn't go so far as to call this a design flaw, but it requires perfect execution of installation of the spindle nut and lock washers to be good at its job, and it’s even possible that’s not enough. DO NOT TAKE SHORTCUTS.

I encourage anyone who owns a HMMWV to also join the Hummer Network forums and listen and learn. While there is vast experience on this website with military vehicles, the guys with the H1s have been abusing, working on, and buying and selling these vehicles longer than almost all of us have even had the chance of owning a military one.

http://www.hummernetworkforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=244966&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0