• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Spindle Replacement & alternate a/c options

erasedhammer

Consolidating two threads into one for simplicity.

1. Anyone have a good write up on swapping out a spindle? I was looking at the seal replacement in the TMs and it seems like there are some specialty tools involved? Is it that complicated or is it as easy as a half shaft replacement?

2. I have a red dot a/c v belt compressor and a 24v underdash a/c kit, hoses radiators and fans included. Got the underdash a/c from a friend for free but I'm not sure I want to take up that much space in the cab with something that big. Also I'm trying to stay away from the stock red dot configuration as it takes up too much space for my liking, also the exterior radiator and fans isn't that visually appealing.

I wanted to see what everyone has done for an a/c system. And any recommendations for a compact a/c system.
I thought I saw a picture somewhere of an a/c system that uses the v belt compressor and has a whole system integrated into the heater ducts?

Wire Fox

At least to address the large condensor of the red dot system, you could get one of the in-fender units. It requires you to cut out a vent into the side of the fender, then you have to brace this assembly up into the wheel well. It's a pretty good setup since it just uses dead space in the vehicle, stays out of sight, and isn't exchanging heat in an already hot area.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
At least to address the large condensor of the red dot system, you could get one of the in-fender units. It requires you to cut out a vent into the side of the fender, then you have to brace this assembly up into the wheel well. It's a pretty good setup since it just uses dead space in the vehicle, stays out of sight, and isn't exchanging heat in an already hot area.
Wish I knew about this prior to purchasing my Red Dot.

That being said, the Red Dot has a certain tough look on a slantback.

T

erasedhammer

That wouldn't be that bad... I do have a couple of course concerns though.
It runs off of 24v so, how noisy are the fans? The reason I wanted to mount it on the radiator stack is to keep the noise up there with the engine.

And if I use that system, does it use an engine mounted compressor or does it have an electric one?

From there I could possibly hook it up to my underdash blower and evaporator ?

Action

Why would a 24v fan be more noisy than a 12v fan?
The fender fans are not that loud. I would rather have it in the fender than blocking air the the radiator and other coolers up front.

erasedhammer

Why would a 24v fan be more noisy than a 12v fan?
The fender fans are not that loud. I would rather have it in the fender than blocking air the the radiator and other coolers up front.
Not the fan that would be louder, just where it mounts. Plus my engine runs way too cool all the time. 170 in 90 degree heat.

erasedhammer

I think I will go with a radiator mounted condenser and two 24v fans, with the red dot compressor v belt. I probably want to use the red dot evaporator and blower though to stay at least a little military style. Definitely going to stay away from the other condensers that mount on the roof, too ugly for me.

As for the spindle, is there a way to replace the studs but not the whole spindle? I just have 3 studs that are stripped.

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Assuming they are the same as any other stud on any other vehicle...

They are most likely press fit. You can press them out or VERY CAREFULLY tap them out with a hammer.

The new studs then need to be press fit. Get several large washers...like 10 or 20. Place the stud into the hole, place a bunch of washers over the stud, and then screw in the lugnut. Tighten the lugnut until the stud is firmly seated on the spindle.

Best,

T

Last edited:

erasedhammer

Assuming they are the same as any other stud on any other vehicle...

They are most likely press fit. You can press them out or VERY CAREFULLY tap them out with a hammer.

The new studs then need to be press fit. Get several large washers...like 10 or 20. Place the stud into the hole, place a bunch of washers over the stud, and then screw in the lugnut. Tighten the lugnut until the stud is firmly seated on the spindle.

Best,

T
Well my current spindle has stripped studs and I didn't k ow if it would be easier to replace the spindle or the studs.

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well my current spindle has stripped studs and I didn't k ow if it would be easier to replace the spindle or the studs.
You seem like a good guy, but sometimes you say things that confuse me.

If there is nothing wrong with the spindle, why go through all that effort? Punch out the old studs and pull in the new ones.

I've done this countless times on countless motor vehicles.

As long as you can spin the spindle to a place where the stud being removed has a clear shot to escape, you're ok.

If placing the new stud into position seems challenging, tie dental floss to the tip of the threads and attach that to a paperclip that is straightened out and also tied to the dental floss. Then just thread the paper clip through the hole and pull the stud into place. Then seat as mentioned.

MHO... YMMV

T

erasedhammer

You seem like a good guy, but sometimes you say things that confuse me.

If there is nothing wrong with the spindle, why go through all that effort? Punch out the old studs and pull in the new ones.

I've done this countless times on countless motor vehicles.

As long as you can spin the spindle to a place where the stud being removed has a clear shot to escape, you're ok.

If placing the new stud into position seems challenging, tie dental floss to the tip of the threads and attach that to a paperclip that is straightened out and also tied to the dental floss. Then just thread the paper clip through the hole and pull the stud into place. Then seat as mentioned.

MHO... YMMV

T
Sorry, I didn't know how the stud was attached before.
I was checking out the studs and from just looking it didn't seem like they could be removed.

That's why I was about to go through with replacing the entire spindle.

Now I'm just going to replace studs. Thanks

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just from a cost perspective, I see spindles new on flea bay for $50 which is probably close to what 8 studs could cost. Also, then a simple r&r without having to pay a machine shop to press if you needed it. I don't know all that is involved in those gear hubs but then you would have new seals, fresh lube, and another item scratched off the pm list. Just a thought.

On some other applications I have used a larger impact socket or washers to draw the stud through the hole with a lug nut and a impact to pull it. Usually ruins the lug nut but they are cheap.

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just from a cost perspective, I see spindles new on flea bay for $50 which is probably close to what 8 studs could cost. Also, then a simple r&r without having to pay a machine shop to press if you needed it. I don't know all that is involved in those gear hubs but then you would have new seals, fresh lube, and another item scratched off the pm list. Just a thought.

On some other applications I have used a larger impact socket or washers to draw the stud through the hole with a lug nut and a impact to pull it. Usually ruins the lug nut but they are cheap.
Three studs can't cost more than 20 clams. The work involved might take 15 minutes.

Changing a spindle will cost for new spindle and grease and time...1.5-2 hours for a novice, and you better pray spindle stuff is torqued and tightened properly.

I love ya' Juan, but I would swap the studs.

MHO-YMMV

P.S. - hope you are well Juan

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks